SDI V's PADI - IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks,

I am a DM and want to do my IDC but am unsure of which organsiation to do it with. I am leaning towards SDI due to their link with TDI, but PADI is a monster that can not be ignored. Any ideas or advice??

Depends on if you are where your looking to work.

PADI is EVERYWHERE.

It's not who you teach thru but how YOU teach that matters.

PADI offers a wide variety of employment opportunities world wide. I assume you want to work. Be the best instructor you can with whatever agency you go with.

Regards

Freedom to Dive:
Hi Folks,

I am a DM and want to do my IDC but am unsure of which organsiation to do it with. I am leaning towards SDI due to their link with TDI, but PADI is a monster that can not be ignored. Any ideas or advice??

First, for full disclosure, I am a PADI instructor. That being said, I am not a fan of SDI (TDI, yes). I was disappointed to learn that an SDI Instructor has the option to not have their OW students perform skills in OW. Second, to teach SDI you must be associated with a shop -- PADI is giving some signs they might be heading in that direction. SDI requires OW students to have computers -- later TDI converts them into bottom-timers ( must have been an interesting conversation in the Standards Meetings -- my guess is that it well more equipment).

From an IDC perspective, with PADI you will take an IDC from a Course Director and then need to pass the exam with a PADI (employee) Instructor Examiner. With SDI, you take an 'IDC' with one Instructor Trainer and a second Instructor Trainer 'tests' you. While I have experienced 'questionably prepated' Instructors being passed at the PADI IEs, having a shop where one IT trains and another tests seems to me to compromise the integrity of the process.

SDI/TDI isnt really linked either. The technical and recreational are poles apart, one doesnt lead to the other as such.

PADI as people said are everywhere - if you want global best chance of employment padi is probably the way to go. Local situation may vary.

(That is of course unless you arent looking for it as work, purely for diving).

As most of the above have said. If you are looking for an exotic location to work in then PADI is most likely the better option. If you don't want to be attached to a specific shop then PADI is the better option.

Otherwise check out what is more common in your area.

I would like to point out that PADI has been a giant but that giant is shrinking and others are catching up and overtaking in some areas. In Australia PADI is shrinking fast and SSI is taking great chunks out of it. SDI is growing but their marketing is aimed at dive shops and not the public at this stage. In Asia Pacific and Europe SDI is gaining ground fast. In the good old US of A, SDI is getting closer to running level with PADI every day.

My advise would be work out what you want to be doing in the dive industry. If its travel then find which training agency is prominent in the area that you are going. If you want to work a local dive area find a shop that you like and agree with their diving philosophy.
Just because something is popular doesn't make it suit you. McDonalds is the worlds most popular restraunt, Hyundai is the worlds most popular car. Don't get caught up in size. Find somewhere that suits your dreams and go for it.

P.S I am PADI DM, SDI Instructor in Australia. We are the little guy in our pond and we love sticking it to the big guys. It makes us train better and garanteed our ITs are hard on us.

Goatfish face:
...snip.... In the good old US of A, SDI is getting closer to running level with PADI every day. ...

I am not sure what metric you are referring to, but it is generally accepted that PADI has about 80% market share of all certifications. NAUI, SDI, SSI, CMAS, BSAC, and the rest split up the remaining 20%. So while it may be true that SDI is getting closer, its a little bit like saying I am getting closer to breaking a world record in running the 100m dash every time I take a .100 sec off my time....

Thanks Guys,

All sound advice. I think what will happen is that I will go with SDI for now and than convert to PADI when I have more money. I know I should not compromise due to price but I need to have money coming in first as I can get my SDI ticket half the price of PADI's. Either that or I sell a kidney. Like many have said before it is more about how I teach than what org I belong to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom