Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im recently certified (In my 40s) and would like your opinion on this.
We were recently on vacation (Caribbean) and out on a dive boat having a great time, everyone friendly.
My Insta buddy was great fun, and during the surface interval it came out that she likes to smoke weed before a dive. I was astounded.
She said that it relaxes her and reduces air consumption, and if she smokes enough it can bring out the colors of the fish.
At first I thought she was joking, but on further discussion she was being honest.(She smokes everyday)

As many adolescents do,I tried weed when in my early 20s but as a non smoker it made me feel sick, and I didn't like its effects so its just "not my thing", but its a free world and people can make their own mind up.(I have no moral stance on it)
Later back at the hotel, we were talking with this other diving couple that we had been hanging out with and I was telling them about my buddies smoking..
Astounded again-They were also regular weed smokers and had smoked weed before a dive as well.
Im now wondering whether it impairs people as much as I thought.
I drink beer (quite often too much,) but never before a dive.
Should I make the smoking question part of my pre-dive, buddy safety checks.
Perhaps Im just over reacting because Im just an old fart- before my time.
icosm02.gif

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
A not very cool dude.

Of course one should not smoke weed and dive, but they do. People do all sorts of stupid stuff with water involved like...

Drink and boat.....

Drink and dive....

Smoke cigarettes and dive...

Drink and jet ski....

etc....

To each their own I guess....problem is they can hurt or endanger other people.

Then again I know a few people who cannot function w/o weed. They smoke every day. One even says it is his prozac. Maybe they know something I dont....but i doubt it.

I am like you...I could care less if people smoke pot as it really is a pretty benign drug compared to alcohol and the usual scripts all the older people around here take. To each their own I guess. I know it sucks being w/o a dive buddy and having to roll the insta-buddy dice. I have done it for years. More times than not I just go with the fact when I am on vacation and diving with strangers, I am really diving solo. That is a lame answer, but so it goes.

I am not into the weed or the narcotics thing either. I do have a few drinks every now and then but never before diving. As far as weed, after watching my friends in high school that smoked, i think the people smoking before diving are an accident waiting to happen. Their reaction time is ssoooooo sssslllllloooooooowwwwwww to anything. We used to find it fun after they would get high at a party to throw pool balls (pool table balls) at them. and watch their hand come up to late to fend off the ball. just my 2 cents.

Whether it is Pot, Alcohol, or even some prescription drugs, impaired is impaired. The sad thing is that people who smoke every day fall into complacency. It is so much of their everyday lives that they don't realize that they are impaired (or won't admit it). Like the drunk who drives because he "only" drank a 6 pack.

When you are in a hostile environment, ie. can't breathe without life support (SCUBA), It is damn foolish to partake of any kind of mind/judgement altering substance.

It would be bad enough to have to rescue some fool who can't think straight. It would be even worse to have to count on them for help should you need it. Personally, I would find another "Buddy" that has their head on straight.

I think I would be looking for a new buddy.

I am also thinking if the Captain or DM were aware of this it might be treated like alcohol and they are done diving (however I don't know this for a fact, just my thoughts).

Hmmm, I'm not so sure I would want to be buddied up with someone like that (not that I think what they do is wrong, I pass no judment on what someone else does) but in my own head I would not be able to enjoy my dive because I would be constantly watching them to make sure they were OK. I'm not really the babysitting type. But hey, I've never done it so I couldn't tell you how it effects people.

<shakes_head>

"brings out the color in the fish"

:lol:

Ummm, think of the number of risks that are involved with diving...

Now, let's compound those risks by smoking tree and dulling response times, reducing hand eye coordination, problem solving capability, etc, etc...

Brilliant!

Absolutely Brilliant!

Due in part because of people like you describe, we have sections on this board called "Accidents and Incidents."

Just my .02 but in Jersey, even on fishing boats, the Captain would cancel the trip or end it early if they knew that was going on inside the boat. I wouldn't be too happy if a dive got cancelled because of something like that...and throwing pool balls at someone?? Nice!

Back
Top Bottom