The term BUDDY should be PARTNER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The term 'buddy' sucks IMO; it has an associated 'good ole boy' connotation that is sexist and demeaning. It may work with describing adolescent boys' friends, but it should end there.

Suggest beginning to use the term 'partner' and see if the 'buddy' relic can be swept into the dust bin.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/buddy

bud·dy:...
1. A good friend; a comrade.
2. A partner, especially one of a pair or team associated under the buddy system.
3. Friend or comrade; chum. Used as a form of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: Watch it, buddy.
intr.v. bud·died, bud·dy·ing, bud·dies
To associate as a buddy or buddies: buddied around with the older guys.
Phrasal Verb:
buddy up
To ingratiate oneself, as by presuming friendship: buddied up to the coach in hopes of making the team.

Good whine - maybe it should be in the whine & cheese :wink:

My buddy IS my partner and my lovely bride!

Dave

Teamcasa-
You got it...I've have had my "buddy" for 35 years. Diving for less...

Howdy partner...was up Buddy...

Partner...um ..no. Unless she is freaking hot. And mine is.

I will stick to BUDDY..thanks

oh come on, dont become like Quebec where every word has to be carefully studied by hundreds of comitees and associations for the rights of this and that :sigh: so that it doesnt offense any single groups possible.

What will happen to the term instabuddy on a night dive? will it be replaced by a One night stand? :wink:

I prefer buddy and to me, it is not gender or age related.

tonka97:
The term 'buddy' sucks IMO; it has an associated 'good ole boy' connotation that is sexist and demeaning. It may work with describing adolescent boys' friends, but it should end there.

Suggest beginning to use the term 'partner' and see if the 'buddy' relic can be swept into the dust bin.

So moved and seconded. All in favor? Motion carried. You now have our permission to run with this, Buddy. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom