• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
And does someone actually look at it?? I find it funny that no one cares to look at my dive log, they just want my C card. I consider that silly.

Do you fill it out, and actually have your buddies sign it?? It seems like seasoned divers (greater than 400 dives) don't do it. And the ones that do, do it for the sake of the wildlife they've seen.

Does anyone actually verify the signatures?? Do you need valid buddy signiture with their C number?? How about for those going through DM or instructor programs, do they actually check it??

How do you sign your solo dives?? God is my buddy??

I download off my computer whenever i remember, usually weeks or months after the event. By then i can barely remember the sites yet alone buddies so its never signed.

Been to exactly one place where someone has asked to see a log and even then it was a 3 second check to see a minimum number.

I love looking back and recalling certain dives! There are dives that I have forgotten about only to remember when thumbing through the old records. Kind of like looking back through a scrapbook; don't do it often but always enjoy it when I do.

I have only had to show it when taking certain classes (Rescue, DM, and OWSI).

I was in Florida diving and overheard a dive shop asking an Open Water diver to see their log book because he wanted to go on an 'advance' dive and wasn't certified to do more than basic open water.

I fill out my log book, but I don't have signatures. If a buddy offers to sign it, then I will let them, but that is rare since I don't usually fill it out at the dive site.

I use it keep track of conditions, what I saw, whom I dove with, and any other relavant info. I usually don't put down stuff like temp, vis, or weights, unless they are different than the usual.

Wheres the "updated after every dive, but not signed" option?

For me it is more of a dive "journal" with notes about different sites, wildlife, water temps, dive ops, and even hotels and restaurants. Obviously, if it is a site I've been to many times before, there is a good chance that the dive will either be omitted, or combined on one page with many other repeat dives.

The closest thing to a signature is when I hand my book over to a diver for him to jot down his e-mail so I can send him some pictures.

The only case I've ever seen where a dive log was looked out outside of a classroom setting was in the Florida Keys where before taking someone out to the deeper wrecks a dive boat operator either wanted to see an AOW card or some deep dives in a logbook.

The poll is wrong but that's OK.

Yes I log every dive but I don't bother with signatures. I do record buddies and others in the party and maintain a contact sheet.

I log the details of the dive daily but will batch the computer downloads and backfill the final details.

I have had instructors look at it but that's about it. I do it for me. With salt and fresh water along with nearly a dozen exposure protection configurations I need all the help remembering things I can get.

I maintain my log a learning tool and as a keepsake. It's in a looseleaf binder with page protectors and also includes tables and assorted class handouts. The log is in Excel and I print new pages as they fill.

I can't count how many times I have pulled out the cylinder properties chart to help someone decide how to adjust weights for an alternate cylinder. I consider it a miniature office.

Pete

No choice there for me...I fill mine in for every dive I do. I don't get anyone to sign it. I have "greater than 400" :wink:

I usually include time, depth, location, temps & a note on viz plus anything interesting that I observed. It's invaluable for choosing sites later, for keeping up with what the creatures are doing and for reference when someone asks about something specific or when I want to remember where exactly I saw something.

As for showing it, as a dive operator we do like to see a log book but it is only required for one of our dive sites (government controlled). Every student on any course must have a log book, it's a requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom