Diving family costing a ton??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I dont know if this is a question or maybe just more of a rant. When I started diving, the son (17 y/o) wanted to do it as well.. SO, we took the class together, thinking it was a good idea. Which, YES, it was... but I paid for the class and material for both of us, then for a Christmas present before the class, bought the mask, fins, snorkle, booties and gloves for us both. To start it I was well over $1000 into it. Its great cus I have a dive buddy for life with him and as well the wife dives now.

Here is where the issues comes in.... I have since purchased all my own gear and can go on the drop of a hat. But when I call my son to dive, there is always the excuse, Dad, I have no money... can you rent my gear?? GEEEZZZ.... Its costing me a ton between, Me, the wife and the son.

Anyone else have this problem???:huh:

Welcome to the diving world. How many kids have money and don't rely on parents for things? What, no boat yet?

Gary D.

Just wait until he hits you up for money to go diving.... without you! :shakehead

river_sand_bar:
Here is where the issues comes in.... I have since purchased all my own gear and can go on the drop of a hat. But when I call my son to dive, there is always the excuse, Dad, I have no money... can you rent my gear?? GEEEZZZ.... Its costing me a ton between, Me, the wife and the son.

Well, good luck with that. You can either start purchasing your son, and wife stuff for XMAS, or find dive buddies that don't require a cash outlay! :11:

ScubaToys IMO is your best friend when it comes to large gear purchases. They won't make it exactly cheap, but you can get into a fairly nice setup for in the $1000~1500 range.

river_sand_bar:
..., Dad, I have no money... can you rent my gear??

"No money.....No diving. I will send you pictures and think of you"

He is 17, time to learn to fend for himself and that everything he wants has to come from himself. Taking parents for a ride seems a common theme amongst teens....

:D

Meng_Tze:
"No money.....No diving. I will send you pictures and think of you"

He is 17, time to learn to fend for himself and that everything he wants has to come from himself. Taking parents for a ride seems a common theme amongst teens....

:D
Diving's a great way to learn about personal responsibility ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

River, it doesn't stop here! Im 25 and still call my folks for a loan once in a while. Then again I am a poor dive master living reef to reef, so i have an excuse!!! (=

Jay

I have a wife & daughter who now dive. The last 2 years has cost me a pile just in gear alone.

Now the daughter has everything she needs except for a suit. So it comes down to the actual cost of the dives now. She can go or not as suits her & at least the gear rental is not an issue, during the summer she can dive without a suit.

It still adds up fast.

I totally and completely agree with having him pay his way.... but its also nice having him dive with me.

Wayward Son... I can FEEL your pain...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom