HP Steel without a DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWCWdiver

Reaction score
I am considering a HP steel 120 but need to know if I have to use DIN. I have a normal yoke setup and would like to keep it that way but I was under the impression all HP's (or most) require DIN.

All high pressure tanks use din connections. Yoke clamps are not rated for the higher pressure. The o-rings tend to extrude out. That causes a lot of bubbles.

If it's a 3442 PSI series tank, like an E series from PST, then it will likely come with a 200 bar DIN valve that has an insert to be able to use a yoke reg, so you could at least use your current reg a bit, but I would suggest conver the reg to DIN, it is more secure

Ok, do they make a DIN for the Scubapro MK17? Are there any issues filling a DIN valve tank at resorts and dive shops? I was going to do a doubles setup but I figure going to a single HP 120 will be a lot easier in the long run.

thansk guys.

Well I'm not the guy to ask about ScubaPro, but I would expect they did. If you had the 200 bar valve with the yoke insert, it would act just like a yoke valve, and would be filled the same.

P.S. all the shops I deal with have DIN fittings on the compressor already, and the ones I have been into that didn't, had a fill adaptor at the ready.

My regulators have 3500 psi rated yokes. Using the DIN / Yoke convertable valve at 3,500 psi has not been a problem. I've done this for 2 years. DIN is better, but no problems with the yoke.

NWCWdiver:
Ok, do they make a DIN for the Scubapro MK17? Are there any issues filling a DIN valve tank at resorts and dive shops? I was going to do a doubles setup but I figure going to a single HP 120 will be a lot easier in the long run.

thansk guys.

Yes you can get a DIN for a MK17, great first stage by the way. They run aroun $56 plus installation by your ScubaPro dealer.
:monkeydan

Yes, there are yoke regs rated at the higher (3,500 psi) pressures. However, many yokes are rated to 3,000 psi. Not sure of the rating on the Mk17.

I dive DIN on everything but my pony bottles. Never had an o-ring blow using them, but have had a number of yoke o-rings fail. Certainly something to consider.

Excellent! I think I will just convert to DIN!! Now, one thing to consider is travelling. If I have to rent a tank, can I rent a DIN valved tank or do I need to switch back to yoke?

ALos, I heard a rumoer from a dive store that the MK17 might not hold up/have more possible issues with an HP setup. I would think that, with more working pressure, any reg 's 1st stage MIGHT have "more" issues then a LP setup. right?

thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom