Advise on Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I've signed-up for the Rescue Diver course and am looking for any advise from all the instructors out there as to the best way of getting the most from this course. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to? Hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bwerb,

This is probably one of the better classes you will take. As always the instructor is paramount.
IMHO, self-rescue is the most valuable result of the the class. The open water sessions are extremely valuable and makes you more confident in the water. This class should make you more aware of what's going on around you.

DSAO,
Larry

Thanks bwerb for the post. I will be taking the course next summer as well and will look for continued advice. I've taken the CPR course and am studying the book now.

I felt that all of the things that could apply to non-scuba scenes were the best. Just in case I were in a car crash or something I'd have a better understanding of what to do and what will happen

bwerb once bubbled...
I've signed-up for the Rescue Diver course and am looking for any advise from all the instructors out there as to the best way of getting the most from this course. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to? Hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The rescue course makes you a better buddy. Makes you pay better attention. You become less self-focused and more aware of what is going on around you. Practice, practice, practice - until the techniques you learn become second nature. The result should be your preparation and readiness. Don't look for ways to be a hero - look for ways to prevent accidents.

as stated practice your skills including your basic skills till you have them down with out thinking about them also work your muscles as you will be onre tired puppy , this class will be some what stressfull for you but same time you will learn more in this class thAN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER CLASS IF DONE RIGHT THIS CLASS WILL MAKE YOU A VERY COMFORTABLE DIVER AND TO WATCH THE SOUROUNDINGS .
remember a clas is what your instructor puts into it and what you are will ing to particpate !!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Be well rested and take care of yourself-eat right etc. I do not know where you are taking your course. I did my open water portion in the ocean, and the seas were a bit rough. That made it a tiring experience.

2) Do not hesitate to ask questions and make sure you understand and have practiced each skill until you are sure you will retain it.

Ken

If you don't have all your own gear - or close - go get it. This cource will help you learn your own gear really well because you'r doning and doffing it several times. It is a bit of a waste to do the course in rentals. But by all means put in a few dives in any new equipment before the course. And it is really tough so don't arrange any evenig parties the days your doing the course. And have fun:)

The skill drills were the most beneficial things I got out of this course. We did a number of pool sessions, a couple of open water sessions, and during both of those, a ton of drills. Donning and Doffing your own gear, your buddy's gear, learning how to control yor ascent with someone in a full wet-suit, but no weight belt. We did a ton of work. I think my favorite was a blacked out mask in a pool session where we had to locate, free, and rescue a tangled diver who was tied up on the bottom, which is 14ft. in our pool.

IMHO, the rescue classes that have done the best in terms of their ability to react and apply their knowledge have been the ones in which the students didn't treat the program as just another class.

They treated the scenarios as actual emergencies.

Getting into the course will get your stress level up and help simulate an actual emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom