Gear and cold weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With the warm Decemeber we had this past year, I was able to get some diving in and left my gear in my jeep so that I could go on a moment's notice. Now it has turned off cold but I never unloaded my jeep. I was for a warm day or a chance to go to the pool. Is leaving my gear in my jeep with the below freezing tempeartures a bad thing? Will it ruin the seals in my regulator or perhaps the moisture freeze in my wing and cause it to break down? I was also thinking the latex on my drysuit might be damaged as well. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good visual inspection is due and then fully inflate the BC. One time I went as far as taking the tank and reg into the tub. But it could only tell me it works at depth of 6". Some would even take it in for an LDS check.

I was lazy a few times. I never had a problem with my gear being frozen.
Never force anything when frozen.

I would bring everything indoors...clean it up once it has sat over night in the house.

Usually there should not be any problems, But visually inspect everything, check for cracks and blown O-rings. Put your reg on a fresh tank, open the valve, check for leaks by spraying some soapy water all over it. No bubbles your good to go. If you see bubbles...it is time for a minor service.

I would not worry too much about it. But best double check everything anyways.

Alluminium tanks I would not worry too much about it...just check and see if teh air is WET by openg the valve slightly.

Steel Tanks...depends how old the tank is...I would do the same test for moist air...if so..VIP time and a cleaning..but again depends how long how old.

Here in SoCal we have similar concerns...sometimes we spill our Lattes on our gear when we reach for the sunblock. At night when the temp plummets to 65 degrees, there is no telling what that will do to the equipment. So its off to Starbucks for a refill and a inspection at the LDS!:wink: Hawaiian divers have similar issues, but also need to consider the implications of those small cocktail umbrellas getting jammed in the secound stage. Diving is just not an easy thing!

I will be polite and say...up yours...thank you.:wink:

Jon C:
Here in SoCal we have similar concerns...sometimes we spill our Lattes on our gear when we reach for the sunblock. At night when the temp plummets to 65 degrees, there is no telling what that will do to the equipment. So its off to Starbucks for a refill and a inspection at the LDS!:wink: Hawaiian divers have similar issues, but also need to consider the implications of those small cocktail umbrellas getting jammed in the secound stage. Diving is just not an easy thing!

Don't worry about. After an ice diving class I have had my gear frozen into a solid block that required liberal dumpings of warm water to thaw out no harm done. just make sure to thaw it before trying to separate anything.

Jon C:

:rofl3:

Don’t worry about it and like it has already been said DON'T force anything while it’s frozen. Our gear stays in our cars 24/7/365 in temps ranging from sub zero to well into a hundred degrees through out the year.

The only problems are when someone tries to force a wrist or neck seal prior to warming it up. About 30 seconds with the vehicle heater or defroster is about all it takes.

It’s almost impossible to keep things 100% dry in the winter due to condensation so just be gentle with the seals and you should be fine.

Gary D. :wink:

PS: Dittio on the "UP YOURS" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom