Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On a recent dive trip something occured to me...

I have met TONS of couples who dive together.
I have met TONS of men who have significant others who don't dive. So many men have remarked to me "you're so lucky your wife dives - I wish mine did." When I ask them for the reasons, they site several reasons such as claustrophobia or fear of sharks, among many other reasons.

However... I have NEVER met a woman on a dive boat who has a male significant other who doesn't dive. (except for one case in which the guy had unstable coronary disease and had to give it up, which is obviously a good reason).

This seems like such a shame to me because some of the BEST divers I've been diving with are women.

Why the discrepancy?

Actually I know several women that their male counterpart doesn't dive.

But I'd say it's less than 10% of the women. (Also I bet that women make up less than 30% of the divers, which puts the chance of meeting a woman diver with a male non-diver around 3% mabye?)

The need for a sugar daddy to pay for it.

(Duck & Run) !!!!!

Spady:
However... I have NEVER met (an available) woman on a dive boat. QUOTE]

Try the resorts. I have met more than one nice lady in stinky rubber suits. :blinking: Gives you something to do after the night dive.... more night diving! :crafty:

I dive with several woman divers whose spouses have no interest in the sport. I also dive with several ladies who are excellent divers. No doubt there are more males in the buddy pool. I would also add that the males have a higher availability to dive.

Some of the ladies dive with their husbands but probably would never dive again if the husband were not there to go with. I think my wife falls into this group but I could be wrong.

I have seen some ladies fall for the sport as intensely as anyone I know.

I think a lot of it stems from the perceptions of being cold and wearing heavy gear. In many ways the industry does a crummy job of getting divers properly equipped. They end up poorly protected overweighted and carry more than they need and say to heck with this. A male is more apt to persevere with brawn and eventually get it all figured out. In this way I think we loose many of the ladies post certification.

The maternal factor takes many out of the game in their prime.

Too bad.

Pete

Take your choice...

Men dive more because they can:

a) go an hour without shopping.
b) go an hour without talking
c) go an hour without telling someone how to drive
d) go an hour without worrying about make-up
e) go an hour without Oprah

Hey, I didn't asked the question...my flak jacket (and cup) are on. Let the retaliation begin!!!

:popcorn:

Jon C, that post is hilarious! You'll definitely get flamed for that :D

Seriously though, It really is a shame that a greater percentage of women seem disinclined to dive. My wife isn't as obsessed with it as I am but she is an awesome diver.

I know that PADI, NAUI, and all the agencies are (for obvious reasons) always trying to get people interested in trying diving. It would seem that, from a business perspective, it would make sense to try to close the gender gap in diving, since there seems to be a HUGE untapped market out there ($$$)

RoatanMan,
I hadn't really thought about the singles scene in diving, but it would seem to me that the lady single divers looking to meet someone would have a statistical advantage over the lads.

-Spady

my wife got me into diving...she used to dive alone when i went places with her.
i guess i'm the exception and not the rule.

Spady:
On a recent dive trip something occured to me...

I have met TONS of couples who dive together.
I have met TONS of men who have significant others who don't dive. So many men have remarked to me "you're so lucky your wife dives - I wish mine did." When I ask them for the reasons, they site several reasons such as claustrophobia or fear of sharks, among many other reasons.

However... I have NEVER met a woman on a dive boat who has a male significant other who doesn't dive. (except for one case in which the guy had unstable coronary disease and had to give it up, which is obviously a good reason).

This seems like such a shame to me because some of the BEST divers I've been diving with are women.

Why the discrepancy?

When I decided to get certified this year after trying to talk my gal pals into for over a year, I just decided to go it alone. They all said they looked bad in a bathing suit or were afraid.

I think most men want a play mate.

I know a lot of women that think men want a woman with nice shoes and window treatments.

Babies make it tough for a bit, like Pete said.
...and Jon is correct also. same reason they golf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom