gear storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
so, where do you stash your gear when you're not diving? can i store wetsuits/regs/bp/computer in garage? i'm worried about high temps. (summer temps over 100F) temp in garage can be atrocious! will my gear take a beating?
thanks!

I keep it inside the house. I wash everything after the dives and more thoughly when I get home. Hang it up to dry and then store it in a closet. After 15 years the gear still looks new.

jon m:
so, where do you stash your gear when you're not diving? can i store wetsuits/regs/bp/computer in garage? i'm worried about high temps. (summer temps over 100F) temp in garage can be atrocious! will my gear take a beating?
thanks!

I had the same concern when I stored my gears in an attic for 3 years - very high temperature but no light.

Been diving for the last 2 years without any problems. I am sure it shortened the life of my BC by at least a few years.... but we'll worry about it when the time come. As far as the regs, I brought it it and they overhauled it... I assume all critical parts were replaced?? It works fine before and after the servicing. Now I keep them in the basement with a dehumidifier.

ams511:
I keep it inside the house. I wash everything after the dives and more thoughly when I get home. Hang it up to dry and then store it in a closet. After 15 years the gear still looks new.

Same here.
I have a dedicated closet in a spare bedroom.

My wife thinks it's a spare bedroom but I know it is a scuba gear room. Except the tanks - they're tough so they stay in the garage.

jon m:
thanks!

It surprised me that Sacramento had triple digit temps. Thought So Cal had the warmer weather. In any case, I keep my gear in the garage: Bag the wet suits using broad drysuit hangers. This keeps the car fumes off the neoprene. Even during our heat waves, the garage stays pretty cool. I would guess there is more of a threat from the car exhaust than the heat.

I have a dive closet in a half bath. But my husband keeps threatening to turn it into an extra shower.

I live down the road from you... Closer to SF... We are usually about 10-15 cooler than Sac.
I have my usual post dive ritual of rinse.... next day repack into the rubermaid container... Ready to go for next weekend

I usually do not worry about high temps that much ... I keep battteries and lights indoors... Regs and drysuit in the garage

After a day of diving, the wetsuit gets a rinse and spin in the front loading washer, then hung up to dry. My BC gets a rinse with the garden hose and hung up to dry, and the weights get the garden hose treatment as well. I use the inside of my boots as a guage to determine when everything is ready to be put away since that's the last of any piece to dry out. Regs, gauges and computer get a bath in the kitchen sink. Then everything gets placed back into my cargo duffel for next time.

Been doing this for quite a while without a bit of trouble, and everything still smells good.

Jon C:
It surprised me that Sacramento had triple digit temps. Thought So Cal had the warmer weather. In any case, I keep my gear in the garage: Bag the wet suits using broad drysuit hangers. This keeps the car fumes off the neoprene. Even during our heat waves, the garage stays pretty cool. I would guess there is more of a threat from the car exhaust than the heat.

Sactown has crazy hot weather. I think it got up to 115 degrees last summer and its pretty much over 100 for most of July and August.

Back
Top Bottom