Cost of AOW classes....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So my LDS offers specialty classes for $99 ea. but offers 4 classes needed for AOW for $299, savings of $100 off regular price. Is 300 bucks about the going rate for AOW?

DawgDiver:
So my LDS offers specialty classes for $99 ea. but offers 4 classes needed for AOW for $299, savings of $100 off regular price. Is 300 bucks about the going rate for AOW?
I charge $250 for mine ... includes about 9 hours of classroom instruction, a minimum of 6 dives and all student materials.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Depends on what is included in the $299. I payed $250 for the course including PADI registration fees and 5 boat dives. Plus $40 for the book and DVD package.

If the $299 is all in...sounds about right. I thought 5 dives were required???

For AOW i paid about half of what the OW course cost me.
That is not including the mask, fins and so on that needed to be bought before i started on the OW course of course..

You might find that more energy for some classes is going into the marketing, sales, pricing, than in the instructional design of the class. In those classes, "closing the deal" becomes a central theme (sort of like buying a car). When looking for a class, push the topic toward instructional issues. How much time UW? What specific skills? What dive sites? Pool time? Classroom learning? There are huge differences in the ways instructors approach advanced dive classes, other than retail pricing schemes.

Good luck with your class!

I'm in AOW now, and I paid $150. That includes the materials and classroom portion. Beyond that, it costs whatever the entrance fee is for the quarries around here. However... I'm doing my checkouts in Panama City and Vortex, via a LDS trip. All inclusive, I paid $650 for the trip (condo accomidations, all meals, all admission fees, 4 air fills, and 1 day of boat diving)

I can't over stress how much you want to shop this one around. Not really for price but for content. With 25-49 dives you are in what I'd call the sweet spot where you are ready to be challenged a little. This assumes that you have been making independent dives with buddies as opposed be having been led around in blue water by dive masters. Be sure to ask the mentioned questions about materials, class time, topics and sites and so forth. You could easily end up in a class where you learn virtually zero if you're not careful.

Pete

DawgDiver:

I think it depends on how many students sign up. If they are going to teach only 2 per class, the instructor is making near minimum wage.

If they are going to have 20 or more, the price would drop.

I would say, you get what you pay for. Less students, more focus on the individual. More students, you are lost in the crowd.

erparamedic:
I'm in AOW now, and I paid $150. That includes the materials and classroom portion. Beyond that, it costs whatever the entrance fee is for the quarries around here. However... I'm doing my checkouts in Panama City and Vortex, via a LDS trip. All inclusive, I paid $650 for the trip (condo accomidations, all meals, all admission fees, 4 air fills, and 1 day of boat diving)
vortex is 68F year round, the air temp will probably be colder. The Gulf is going to be a tad bit chilly this time of year, dry suit chilly. Water temp is in the 50's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom