deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmdoss

Reaction score
Why shouldn't the deep diver cert be included in the ow or atleast aow certs? My question for this is 1. the standard air tables goto 140' 2. diver accident insurance doesnt cover if you dont have the cert, and its a deep dive. Should the tables be made for each cert? like say ow-60' aow'-90'. why give the info on the tables if you're not supposed to use it? Or is there a reason im unaware of?

Yes, experience and training, mostly the experiecne. Diving deep is something you need to build up to one step at a time.

As for the tables, there's really no reason to have tables with restrictions on them. As a diver it is your responsibility to dive within your own capabilities and training.

A problem at 30ft becomes compounded incredibly at 100ft or 130ft.

Define "deep"? AOW certs increase your limit from 60' to 100'. (from PADI at least) Deep Diver specialty increases it to the rec limit of 130'.

Why isn't it included in OW? Do you really think that most OW students are ready to be 100' underwater? Most can't even get life under control in 35' during their checkout dives! And before we get into the "PADI divides things up too much!" and "PADI makes you pay to dive!" argument...of course they do! So does every other educational body...you have to walk before you can run, right? You don't complain about not learning Organic Chemistry when you only paid for a semester of Intro Chemistry, do you?

The reason for the dive tables being all in one would be practicality. Does it really make sense to print 3 different sets of tables when you can conveniently put it all on one? Before I was started deep diving, I also found it interesting to compare NDL limits at different depths and really try to wrap my head around nitrogen loading...heck..it even made me go out and do some ACTUAL RESEARCH on my own! What a concept, eh?

Cheers,
Austin

why give the data "tables" to a ow diver that he not suppose to use? why not just go ahead and give him the eanx tables and the deco too?

dmdoss:
why give the data "tables" to a ow diver that he not suppose to use? why not just go ahead and give him the eanx tables and the deco too?
Why does the speedometer on your car go higher than the speed limit?

Im not complaining. I was just wondering if there getting the info to shoot thereself in the foot. Sorry for asking a question 3 ring.

Perfect! I'd love to see OW students take the initiative and dig out the EANX or Deco tables! (with the knowledge that they cannot be used for the type of diving that the student is going to be doing!) Why not start continuing your education yourself and doing a bit of independent study? That way, when you come into your Enriched Air Diver course or get into Tech, your instructor's work will be cut down and they can focus more on the aspects you need help with in order to make you a better diver in the long run.

And any good instructor will at least answer basic questions about the other tables and inform you of courses you can take to learn about them in more depth.

Cheers,
Austin

Sorry DM...it just seems like people slam dive instruction for not providing enough information....and now for providing too much!! :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

well why not just combine the tables then. Make it like the navy table.
Or do ya not get what im trying to get at? Or are ya just wanting to make smart *** remarks.

USN Dive tables and the RDP are two very different animals. And combining everything onto one "universal" table would require a seperate course to teach people how to read it! :wink:

I'm really not getting what you're trying to say. Providing people with a little extra information (in an easy-to-use format) is always a good thing.

Cheers,
Austin

Back
Top Bottom