The Water Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in the Austin Texas area and we use Time Warner Cable. During a channel surfing session I discovered "The Water Channel" and Divers Down TV. www.diversdowntv.com and www.waterchannel.com
I do not how old either of these are and there are a lot of infomercials but if it has to do with water then there is something there for you.
Divers Down was a good show about Truk and they have one next week of wreck diving in the Great Lakes.

Check out their websites for schedules

I get the Water Channel on DishTV, but they have changed the programing. They still do a few shows, but most of the time, it is selling some non-water related product and all night long, they are selling knives, and not the diving kind. I hardly look at it any more.

Had the producer of a new show (SoundWaves) on The Water Channel request some of my footage for a special he's doing about Catalina. It's supposed to air this month so I'll have to find someone with Dish Network so I can watch it. Thinking of getting one of my shows on the network if it fits their programming needs.

dk2943:
I get the Water Channel on DishTV, but they have changed the programing. They still do a few shows, but most of the time, it is selling some non-water related product and all night long, they are selling knives, and not the diving kind. I hardly look at it any more.

Yes it is filled with infomercials and that is too bad. I just looked and the Divers Down show will be on tonight at 7:30 CST. It appears that they are putting all the real shows in the late afternoon and early evening and I suspect that is because of a lack of programming.

This is a new channel to me.

AggieDad:
...It appears that they are putting all the real shows in the late afternoon and early evening and I suspect that is because of a lack of programming.

Then this appears to be a GREAT opportunity for divers throughout the world to put together shows about diving in their regions for possible broadcast on this network. Let's help them by producing more content. There are lots of underwater videographers out there. Team up with others in your area to produce a series about what it is like to dive there.

I've got my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" series sampler ready to submit and am working on a more commercial series ("Kelp Forest Ecology") for future submission.

Any corporate sponsors out there want to help me with funding or product?

There is no reason why this channel should not be successful, if it can find and afford decent programs. Divers Down seems to be quite old and dated but not too bad. A show highlight local amateur videographers could turn out to be very interesting. Maybe someone there is reading this?

Dave

The producer who is using my footage in his show on Catalina said he is best friends with the president/CEO of The Water Channel. Will be approaching him through the producer to see how receptive they are to such programming suggestions.

My shows focus primarily on the marine life of our SoCal region. Other regional shows would likely vary based on the specific diving interests of those who put them together: wreck divers, spearos, cave diving, etc. Could be an interesting set of options for the network's audience.

AggieDad:
Yes it is filled with infomercials and that is too bad. I just looked and the Divers Down show will be on tonight at 7:30 CST. It appears that they are putting all the real shows in the late afternoon and early evening and I suspect that is because of a lack of programming.

This is a new channel to me.

I have TWC also, but I've never seen this on the channel listings. Where do I find it?

The first day of the "reprograming", when they were selling knives and coins instead of the listed show Divers Down, we called Dish and crawled our way up through the layers to a supervisor.

<shrugs> He passed on that the programming is purely up to the channel owner, and that most low-yield channels like the Water Channel will make more money in the short term by selling time to infomercials.

The supervisor also predicted that the forecast programming, meaning when you look ahead several days and see that Divers Down is scheduled for 8:00 PM, would be replaced with infomercials as the time slot neared to within 24 hours.

Sure enough that's been true. So we've stopped watching completely.

Does not bode well for the future of the Water Channel.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom