• YES, regardless of your training level anything can happen down there

Votes: 117 50.6%
  • NO, if you & your buddy are at least PADI Rescue Diver certified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, unless you buy a PONY BOTTLE or SPARE AIR

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • NO, if you know your limit and respect it. you can even dive alone

Votes: 54 23.4%
  • YES, Pro divers with many years of experience still die due to unforseen circumstances

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • NO, if dont go into Technical Diving or overhead envirnoment

• YES, if you depend too much on AI computer

• NO, if you just use the plastic table and a bottom timer

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
I know nothing is safe at all but just how unsafe or safe scuba diving Really is ??

Also is it worth to go up untill PADI Rescue divers or stop after AOW ?

Please share your Experience

Diving is like driving. If no one told and forgot to teach a driver that a car skids on snow and ice, driving can be deadly. As for the rescue course part, divers whod did not take a rescue course should not pretend to be buddies.

I feel safer (more in control) underwater than I do on the highway in my car. Everything we do must be evaluated on a risk/reward basis. After giving the entire subject careful consideration I have come the the conclusion that no matter what I do or how safe I am and no matter how many risks I avoid I am doomed. Someday, somehow someplace I am going to die. Therefore, my goal is to maximize the fun vs time curve.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I feel safer (more in control) underwater than I do on the highway in my car.

I agree. One thing for sure. Underwater a diver is his/her own master of events. There are no trucks hauling from behind, except the occasional great white.

what about that uncontrolled unattentive 300 lbs scuba diver that decent directly on top of you ??? :D

or that 50 Lbs ditchable weight coming from heaven ?? :bonk:

I agree,, life is too short , play hard. But unfortunately many people think physical activities is a spectator's sport. <man i sound like Reebok all the sudden>

I feel safer (more in control) underwater than I do on the highway in my car.

Now Mike, can you explain that to the significant others in my life, who happen to be non-divers. These people think driving is safer than diving.:confused:

Ps: i didn't say they were smart!

I could explain it but it wouldn't help. People are comfortable with what they know. I don't know if they really believe that driving is safer or if they are just used to it and comfortable with it.

We have the same thing within diving between different types of diving. I know divers who will enter a wreck in the open ocean but think cave diving is dangerous (HA!). It just depends on what your used to.

I feel safer (more in control) underwater than I do on the highway in my car. . . . Someday, somehow someplace I am going to die. Therefore, my goal is to maximize the fun vs time curve.

Amen to all of that. After engaging in the safety conscious sport of diving it's almost culture shock to enter an highway and join the malestrom of the me-first, anti-buddy culture. None of us live forever but safety conscious diving isn't as dangerous as driving on a highway or through a bad neighborhood. And for many of us, it's more fun that just about anything we can imagine (I said just about, not everything).

Diving may be dangerous, the point is to train to recognise and try to minimize the hazards.

I'm more likely to be injured launching my powerchair off a curb than getting injured or killed while diving. Two years ago I launched off a curb where I thought there was a curb cut. D'Oh!

I've been tagged twice while crossing the street in Spokane.

Driving is more dangerous than driving. I've been rearended five times in the last 21 years and hit head on in an intersection when a driver blew a red light.

The last time I was rearended was when I was recovering from injuries suffered from the time before. I can't win.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom