What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love hearing the interesting stories of what got people into diving. Everyone usually has a unique reason or interest that was the tipping point to try it out for them. What's yours?

Note: This isn't a poll. I'll leave those to fisherdvm....

To begin, I REALLY wish that I would have known about the whole scuba diving community back in the early-mid 80's (the late high school and college days). I do believe that I would have considered a different line of work. But, that aside...:huh:

I actually had a colleague who talked me into taking a certification class at the local YMCA, in 1995. He had been a long-time certified diver, lost his c-card long before computer records and decided that he would re-certify because, as he stated, "I guess there might be a new thing or two in SCUBA over the past 20 years."

Boy, was he correct--and even in the past 12 years of my diving, there is alot new! Since then, I have passed my "mentor" in training and overall dives, but we still love talking about the class we took together and the few travels and dives that we have shared. What a difference 10-15 years makes, as I said before. Had I started diving at 18-21, rather than 31...well, who knows. That's what retirement is for, right??

For me, it wasn't what got me INTO diving, but what kept me OUT of it...namely kids, family (translate that to "wife") and career. I had interest in diving since I was a kid, but didn't get certified until MUCH later (translate THAT to "after the kids were nearly grown).
Like many here, my first real dive was a "resort dive" on the Mexican Riviera. I can remember being at about 45 feet wondering "what in the heck am I doing here?" The next thought said it all..."I'm having the time of my life!!!" That settled it. I decided right then and there that the moment I got home I was finding a dive shop so I could get certified.
I haven't regretted a moment of the results yet.

I got into it after watching the old Sean Connery James Bond movies.

Then I found out that the Ursula Andress scene never happens. Eg hair not in place,, no perfect makup, no bikini clad women and a excess of snot all over the place!!

Still love it though

My parents used to discipline me by holding my head underwater. I did it out of a desire to survive!

Seriously, when I was in high school (very ancient history) one of the seniors on the swim team brought a SCUBA tank in to practice. After we were done swimming our laps, I was able to sit on the bottom (at 12' it didn't count as a loggable dive) and breathe for some time. I was hooked. Dove mostly quarries (no vis) and swimming pools (great vis and warmer) in the early to late 60's. It was part of my job to vacuum the deep diving well each day in one of the pools I was a lifeguard at. Loved the solitude down there.

Didn't do my first ocean dive until 1969 when I moved to Catalina to teach marine biology on SCUBA. Been here pretty much ever since. In 2000 I took (involuntary) early retirement and decided to really get intensive with my diving and videography. Been doing it ever since. Of course I may have to get a job when I'm in my 80's, but certainly loving life these days!

Diving Doc:
I got into it after watching the old Sean Connery James Bond movies.

Then I found out that the Ursula Andress scene never happens. Eg hair not in place,, no perfect makup, no bikini clad women and a excess of snot all over the place!!

Still love it though

From one Doc to another, let me give you some advice. Such things generally don't happen in jolly old England. You have to come to California, Florida or dive the tropics as James did. Believe me, it does happen here... just not to me!

PS British women are quite nice when you get them into a 3mm shortie in the tropics. I've met several who were "to dive for" in my travels.

I started diving for profit in the late 60’s. I was a teenager hired to harvest abalone, recover lost anchors, boat and mooring maintenance around Balboa, Newport, Long Beach, Catalina Island and other places. It was mostly summer work. We did virtually everything wrong by today’s standards but somehow managed to survive. After laying of for thirty years (marriage) my lovely bride took a snuba dive in Kona and BAM!, she loved it and now she is certified (on her 50th birthday!) and I re-certified with her. Happy days are here again!

Dave

20 years ago, when I first started working a new Engineering job, I signed up to take a class. Was all set and then BAM... we got slammed at work and had to work 7 days a week for 4 months. I was told that if I took my class on Saturdays that I would be fired.

So now fast forward 20 years... I was sitting at work, the same job and went DAMN IT... I wanna dive. got slammed at work again, but this time I said NO, I am going diving.

And the rest is history... true story!!

chicks in bikinis...James Bond- Tunderbolt...then seeing mmm Haley Barry...in a newer version of Bond....

DM'S get the girls..:wink:

Ok...truth...Sea Hunt.
and chicks in Bikinis.

I was walking by a pool at the Sandos Playacar resort in Mexico and this nice gal with a German accent asked me if I wanted to take a free scuba demo in the pool.

I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom