Diveassure update, are they for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
A while back I posted a thread about my experience with Diveassure insurance, and in particular, AIG.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=170339&highlight=del_mo

This week I received two signed letters from AIG saying that they made a mistake in reimbursing me for our hurricane interrupted vacation. They claim now that they don't cover interrupted vacations for "inclement weather", which is how they referred to Hurricane Ernesto last summer. They now want me to return the nearly $2500!

I wrote a very sarcastic letter back to AIG, and called Diveassure to ask them for any assistance they could. They were surprised to learn how AIG claims not to insure under such circumstances when their website clearly states both in the "hype" and in the actual agreement that it does for the Diamond plan.

I'll let the board know whether these folks are flim-flam or not as soon as I'm convinced one way or another.

Was just reading this, link below, this morning. It seems Travel Ins is purposely confusing and has many, many loopholes for the Insurance Co. I would be interested in the outcome of this? My instinct is to send them back zip! There used to be an old Wall St adage, appropos of this sort of thing, -I bought a hat. I'll send you the hat.

I think there are many stories of Travel Ins scams out there. It seems divers really fall prey to this.

Good luck

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Travel-Insurance200702.shtml

del_mo:
A while back I posted a thread about my experience with Diveassure insurance, and in particular, AIG.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=170339&highlight=del_mo

This week I received two signed letters from AIG saying that they made a mistake in reimbursing me for our hurricane interrupted vacation. They claim now that they don't cover interrupted vacations for "inclement weather", which is how they referred to Hurricane Ernesto last summer. They now want me to return the nearly $2500!

I wrote a very sarcastic letter back to AIG, and called Diveassure to ask them for any assistance they could. They were surprised to learn how AIG claims not to insure under such circumstances when their website clearly states both in the "hype" and in the actual agreement that it does for the Diamond plan.

I'll let the board know whether these folks are flim-flam or not as soon as I'm convinced one way or another.

I'll never forget the one time I actually could make a claim for travel insurance. First step, they said I had to PROVE we had insurance with them!! Huh?

You should post an update to your other post, which comes off as a glowing recommendation, lest someone only read the initial post.

Wouldn't that just be supplying them with the policy number?:confused:

DiveMaven:
I'll never forget the one time I actually could make a claim for travel insurance. First step, they said I had to PROVE we had insurance with them!! Huh?

ClevelandDiver:
You should post an update to your other post, which comes off as a glowing recommendation, lest someone only read the initial post.

Excellent idea. If they are trying an underhanded way of avoiding payment, in this case pay them back, that thead should reflect the new status .

I will be very interested to hear how this resolves. I have had the DiveAssure Platinum plan for my family for the last year. It expires in about a month and I was planning on renewing it, partially based on your story of being paid quickly for your claim (fortunately I have not had to make any claims yet). If AIG weasels out of payment, I may quickly be looking for another insurer.

I just reviewed the details and policy exclusions in my DiveAssure Platinum policy.
The details can be read here:
http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/main_media_manager/documents/DiveAssure_USA_Platinum_0106.pdf

From my reading, it seems that the DiveAssure trip cancellation insurance only pays for canceled trips that are the result of injury or illness. See Policy Section B.3.

There is no mention in the policy language of exclusions for "inclement weather" or hurricanes. However, there is also not any description of the policy providing coverage for trip cancellations due to weather.

It looks like this might be a case where we all need to understand what we are buying. This DiveAssure policy will take care of your cancellation costs if you get sick or injured. But if you want true trip cancellation insurance, i.e. for weather events, you will need to purchase that insurance separately.

From Undercurrent link:

"'Don't forget about hurricanes, which often occur in the Caribbean from August through November, some of the best months for diving. Keep an eye on the weather forecast--you can't make a claim for losses related to the storm if it was given a name before you purchased your insurance. So you may be risking it by buying trip coverage for that Belize dive package if a tropical depression hovering 500 miles south has just turned into Tropical Storm Wanda.

Also don't assume you are covered in a mandatory evacuation, because it is not true for most policies; the term "mandatory evacuation" usually applies to nonweather issues. Instead, look for the term "complete cessation of your common carrier services for 24 hours," meaning the airport must be closed for at least a day before a claim is valid. If your hotel is evacuated but the airport stays open, you can't make a claim. The term "complete cessation of your travel supplier services for 24 hours" means your hotel, condo or other licensed room supplier (you can't claim if you're staying at a private house) is so flooded or damaged so much that you can't continue to stay there. However, you'll probably be evacuated from your room long before a hurricane touches down because hotels will push guests out the door at even the slightest threat."

hlsooner:
I just reviewed the details and policy exclusions in my DiveAssure Platinum policy.
The details can be read here:
http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/main_media_manager/documents/DiveAssure_USA_Platinum_0106.pdf

From my reading, it seems that the DiveAssure trip cancellation insurance only pays for canceled trips that are the result of injury or illness. See Policy Section B.3.

There is no mention in the policy language of exclusions for "inclement weather" or hurricanes. However, there is also not any description of the policy providing coverage for trip cancellations due to weather.

It looks like this might be a case where we all need to understand what we are buying. This DiveAssure policy will take care of your cancellation costs if you get sick or injured. But if you want true trip cancellation insurance, i.e. for weather events, you will need to purchase that insurance separately.

pilot fish:
Was just reading this, link below, this morning. It seems Travel Ins is purposely confusing and has many, many loopholes for the Insurance Co. I would be interested in the outcome of this? My instinct is to send them back zip! There used to be an old Wall St adage, appropos of this sort of thing, -I bought a hat. I'll send you the hat.

I think there are many stories of Travel Ins scams out there. It seems divers really fall prey to this.

Good luck

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Travel-Insurance200702.shtml

I work for an insurance company...trust me ALL of the terminology is confusing on purpose! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom