Apprentice Tech Investment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Major

New
Reaction score
Having completed my EANx, i've not got the urge to do my apprentice tech. I'd be interested to know when most of you decided to make the investment for twins,wings etc etc. Scuba overall has a reasonably sized price tag and I really wouldn't be considered well off but once getting to Tech stage you've probably moved beyond using club hire gear and i think most groups pretty much insist on you having you're own tech gear but i guess my question is.....when did most of decide to take the plunge and make that financial committment?

only you can make that decision...but make sure you have the money for it, as well as the time

ASAP.
Do it as soon as you know that it´s what you want to do, you have enough knowledge to make an informed purchase (so that you won´t have to buy the same stuff twice) and you can afford it...

ymmv

Major tech is a different breed. When you buy make sure your an informed person. Cave, Wreck, and Deep alot of equipment look the same but their are some differences. Know what you to do and go from there. Maybe go to a quarry thats deep and see what the tech divers are wearing and talk to some. When you start with large steels such as 130's, wings, canister lights, 3 or more reg's, which type of puters 2 gases are 3, you can see it takes some brain power to narrow down equipment. Are you going with back mount maybe sidemount etc etc. Just be informed and don't rush on buying equipment to you have narrowed it down.

I'm still plunging. Looked at my expenditures for last year and have spent about $6000...mostly tech gear and training. I still haven't purchased doubles. As far as computers...for deco I'm putting my computer on gauge and using a redundant bottom timer, then planning decos with software. So I won't be purchasing any expensive computers any time soon. Looking to buy a dry suit, but that will be awhile...The 7mm is working fine except when out of the water. A set of double 80's and a single will be the next plunge...

rawls double 80's .... ever think about lp or hp steels? Neg the entire dive, less weight on your waist or on your bc. 100cu ft tank smaller than an 80al. Check it out.

This will be my 14th year diving, but I started at age 11. Now that the end of college is in sight, and I'm getting to the deeper stuff too, I started buying my tech stuff last year. I would suggest you look used for a lot of things. I picked up a nice deal from a local diver that was going to a rebreather. I bought a used set of Faber lp108's with bands and manifold, another local tech instructor sold me his wing when he bought a new one, I picked up a diverite BP and harness on ebay for under a $100 brand new. Tech will be a huge investment, so for things like tanks, which you can very safely buy used, I would consider it. Personally I bought my regs new, but if you know someone reliable that is selling off a good used set that you know have been well maintained, that could be a good option too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom