Diving Nitrox and oxygen analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but general discussions seemed to be a good place to start.

For divers diving Nitrox, how important is it that you own your own oxygen analyzer?

I guess the answer will depend on where you are diving, but how many times do you "need" your own? (in other words, does that "live-aboard" allow you to use their analyzer).

I am asking because I normally dive air, but will be diving Nitrox for an upcoming trip. Don't have the analyzer yet, but was thinking of buying one. I'll analyze the tanks at the shop, but was wondering if a comparison analysis should be done, or if the tanks should be analyzed again before use.

Something else to spend money on??

John

Whoever supplies you with Nitrox is supposed to have an analyzer for you to verify the mix. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. If there is an analyzer you may or may not want to trust it. I would not breathe any mix that I had not personally checked with my own analyzer.

I have yet to need my own analyzer. I've only done about 250 nitrox dives, but still, there hasn't been a time where I've needed my own.

Anyone that mixes nitrox better have one, otherwise find another shop. Any liveaboard should have one too. You should be able to call and check that though.

It's very easy to check an o2 analyzer's function, with air being 21% (depending on humidity and temperature) or if there's 100% O2 to test the analyzer with.

Personally, I like having my own, that way when I go to the shop for a fill, we have 2 independent readings to confirm we have the mix right. But I do dive pretty much only nitrox now, so it get's a lot of use.

I agree with Howard tgat anyone who mixes should have one, but these things do age, the sensors do need to be changed once in a while, they could have one and it might be slightly off due to an old sensor. As these guys have said, you can do hundreds of Nitrox dives without one and be fine, but personally I think it's one of those things that you really should have if you will be diving it often. If you're only going to dive nitrox 5 or 6 times a year on vacation, don't worry about it.

If you dive more than one mix, it's a very good idea to analyze before using (lest you die of oxtox thanks to a mislabel). If you only ever dive one mix (say, 32% O2 Nitrox I) *and* you analyze and log the fills every time *and* you calibrate and verify the analyzer each time *and* you're the only one who touches the tanks after that, there's not really a huge need to analyze again, but it's a good habit.

Of course, if you're halfway decent with your hands (or know someone who is) Oxycheq's El Cheapo II is a really nice analyzer for only $100 plus expenses, which makes it almost not worth *not* having an analyzer, regardless. (And when you get a fill and you don't trust their analyzer, you can verify -- after all, it's your life.)

(I don't have one yet, but that's just because I don't dive nitrox enough yet... I'll have it by summer, probably.)

I trust my own analyser. I know what battery has been changed, cell changed, know its been looked after.

I dont trust 3rd party shop analysers, especially when away from shops im familiar with.

Also check tanks prior to getting on the boat to make sure someone hasnt swapped tanks and so on.

About to start on my cavern/cave training I've been thinking about diving Nitrox more often. One thing I've wondered about is sure the el cheapo is cheap and I know I can put it together. But its the sensors that are the recurring cost and they ain't cheap? How long does a well cared for sensor last?

timle:
One thing I've wondered about is sure the el cheapo is cheap and I know I can put it together. But its the sensors that are the recurring cost and they ain't cheap? How long does a well cared for sensor last?
Well, quoting from the sensors page at Oxycheq:
R-17D: This 10mV +/- oxygen sensor has a 6 second response time and a 36 month life expectancy in air. This is the sensor used with the “El Cheapo I & II” Oxygen Analyzers[...]
Everyone I know seals their sensors off from air while they're not in use, so perhaps longer than 3 years? (Oh, and it's $65 for a new one.)

If you guys are going to a shop that you can't trust their equipment (or they don't care for it and replace the O2 sensor on a regular basis), then go somwhere else, or dive air. Most shops that have nitrox around here (Florida) have 1 or 2 analyzers too. If air is reading 21% then the analyzer works. Pretty simple. If you're worried about ox tox, then don't push your MOD's

Also... A simple tip; Write your name on your tanks, so nobody can "switch" it on you. Or label your tank (after analyzing) with your name :wink:

Back
Top Bottom