'Old' divers....lol....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Was in Alexandria, La. today bringing my reg. in for a tune up @ my old LDS..Also dropped some tax stuff off @ my mother's CPA & found out while talking to him, his BIL was flying back from Cozumel today----trick is he's an 81 y.o. active, scuba tripping diver........Apparently travels there often....Don't ask me what kind of profile he maintained this past week but he had a 'great time' according to the CPA(He called home yesterday cuz their jet had problems on CZM & they had to stay an extra nite...)

My question is, what's the age of the oldest active traveling diver on the board....Being fairly new to this site, I have no idea...Hopefully I can join the geriatric club when /if I'm around.....lol.....My hats off to these people....

BTW, the CPA told me his BIL has had 2 total knees(on the same knee) & open heart surgery lately to put a valve in........OK, who is the oldest fart on board....I know my 54 y.o. age is like a spring chicken to some here.......GEAUX TIGERS........

I have high hopes that this thread will alleviate some of the remorse I have had about not taking up this sport until I was 48. :)

Pete

I know a 70's (I think) Lady that dives.

I'll be 60 this year, but I act 30 so I can't be considered an old fart yet. 46 years of diving so far and I expect to be going another 45... er, 35... OK, at least 25... no,not 15 years!

I remember doing a liveaboard a few years ago and there was a couple, Larry and Myrtis, who were in their 70s (I think Larry was 76, Myrtis 72). They were great and did most of the dives. Larry had braces (said he wanted to look good when he died) and one of his better quotes of the week was that he and Myrtis were still deciding whether they wanted to have kids...great couple. I think of him from time to time whenever the pity party "I'm too old to ______________" starts, and then I laugh and get on with whatever it is.

Eventually, you are going to reach the next age and the next and next after that. So, the question is whether you get there having done the thing you thought you were too old to do or not...get it? I did...

...at 47 (adding to Bill's: but I sometimes act like I'm 16, so that averages out to 31.5) I have a ton of diving left to do!!!! I was lucky to have found it early (at 17, so have been at it for 30 years now...yeesh), but whenever you get there, just go for it!

CN

diver 85:
OK, who is the oldest fart on board....I know my 54 y.o. age is like a spring chicken to some here.......GEAUX TIGERS........

I'm 54... my wife is 57... the guy at the LDS who was our instructor (Buzz) for NITROX and helps with some of the other classes is 78... make me feel like a spring chicken too!!!

Started at 13, still at it at 62.

Started Diving at 57;been at it 2 years. Just went for a physical exam last week and stressed to the Doc that I dive and want to make sure I'm good to go. He assured me that I can continue to dive away. So I'm shooting for some tech training this year.

captain:
Started at 13, still at it at 62.
OLD FART:D

I started at 14 and I'll be 60 in 4 days. Still a bit active anyway. :wink:

Wife is another AGING FART. She's 18 months older than me and dives. I can legally call her my Old Lady. :D

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom