Backplate Secrets Revealed! (and other entertaining anecdotes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was a dark and stormy night, and all around me lightning flashed and thunder rolled, while inside my little white car, I slept dreaming contentedly about my last year as a diver and the day which was still not quite yesterday. This is my story...

I suppose I should begin with a little background on myself to get you up to speed. This time last year, I was your average person-on-the-street. Thoughts of diving occasionally flittered through my head, but I gave them all the consideration of a passing bird. Just your normal passing bird, mind you, not the one that flew in front of the car in front of me on the way home from this trip -- even your average Joe would pay attention to a darting brown object that disappears in a huge puff of feathers, but at least it didn't suffer -- anyway, I digress.

So, diving wasn't exactly on my mind until one fateful evening, when I was over at a friend's house for my weekly delivery of freshly baked bread (timed, as always, to coincide with dinner and our regularly scheduled watching of House). She mentioned that her dad had signed their entire family into a scuba class, and the cute little diving birdie in my head was instantly transformed into a giant cloud of feathers. I merrily collected the stuffing and went off to find the glue with which to create the wings to fly me to wonderland. (I could attempt to mix several more metaphors here, but in the interest of sanity, brevity, and humanity, I suppose it's time to just move on.)

First came a month of classes. They taught me many important things, like how to breathe through a regulator, how to find your regulator when you've decided that you really would like to breathe again, and how to breathe out through your nose to get the water out of the mask that you've just put back on your face after you very calmly and intentionally removed it to simulate what would happen if you ever decided your face was drying out just a bit too much. Then came a whirlwind weekend of open water checkout dives. They showed me that visibility is optional, that recovering your regulator is useful when you've just been kicked in the face, and that portly firemen could beat Chuck Norris any day in a one-on-one underwater ClayJar's-face-kicking competition (with the associated side lesson on clearing a mask that was just kicked by a portly fireman's flailing fin).

With my first certification in hand, things moved quickly. (This is the narrative element which will allow me to summarize the next ten months or so in one fell swoop in order to get on with the story. Fasten your literary seatbelts for the rest of the paragraph... or just skip it and pick back up after the rapids.) I bought my gear, did lots of pool work, and started diving in earnest. Then I started adding certifications as fast as the shop could get around to teaching them. Nitrox, Advanced, Rescue, O2, CPR, NAUI Master -- certifications, logged dives, and experience piled up like needles under a month-old Christmas tree -- one which had concealed quite a few gifts of new gear, by the way. (At this point, the program exits fast-forward mode and resumes a more leisurely pace in time to amble through to the finish.)

We rejoin the story this winter. In November, I'd made the plunge to enter the world of drysuit diving (which, being as it's really a "drier-suit" and that I'm originally from Wisconsin, officially makes me a "damp yankee"). I soon added dry gloves to the mix. They say gear multiplies like rabbits, and true to form, diving dry began to foment the seeds of a revolution. I'd been completely content to dive a jacket BC from the very beginning of my diving life (which is an entertainingly preposterous way to refer to a period of ten months or so, wouldn't you agree?), but now, I began to find that the advantages were falling away like so many dropped weight pockets (odd, of course, as I never dove integrated).

The cries of "Pockets! It's got pockets!" were drowned by the cold realization that working the zippers with dry gloves was not only a nearly Sisyphean task, but it was also rendered completely pointless by the fact that while I could still contort enough to reach into the pockets, there was no way I could reach in with dry gloves and rings. The shouts of "D-rings by the dozen! Get your D-rings here!" were mooted by their... er... "very creative"... locations. The calls of "Depth compensating cummerbunds! Super-deluxe 12-strap system!" were inevitably greeted by building bewilderment that all of that was necessary.

Eventually even I, a self-proclaimed jacket apologist, succumbed the heresy the befalls many a diver. I began to wonder whether *less* may indeed sometimes truly be *more*. If BC pockets were such a pain, could I work without them? Could significantly fewer metal D-rings, placed properly, work *better* than eight bulky plastic rings in odd locations? Could a harness consisting of barely more than plain webbing be more stable and comfortable than all the ad copy in the diving magazines could find to oppose it? I *had* to know... I *had* to try...

I decided to go with a Deep Sea Supply single-tank rig, as by all reports, it's quite nice. I chose a steel backplate, as I could use the extra weight (and I rarely fly to dives), and obviously, I had to go with the hog harness -- if I was going to jump off the ledge, I may as well go all the way, and the infinitely adjustable hog harness seemed like a welcome respite from the jacket BC that could never quite put things where they'd be most useful. With a quick phone call, the kit was ordered and I was on the path to enlightenment or perhaps to failure. Either way, the winds of change were blowing.

Which brings us to last Thursday. The little (quite small, actually) box from DSS was waiting for me at home, and with more than a little excitement (and perhaps a twinge of apprehension), I carefully opened it. (I wasn't about to risk damaging the wing, after all. It may not be too fragile, but this is a new toy, and you can't do a Christmas morning Walmart exchange run on it.) After looking at the instructions (and checking out several sets of photo-intensive instructions online), I wove together the plate and all the hardware. Unfortunately, it was far too easy, and before I'd even had a chance to get up to a full tinker, I had the plate on and was checking the fit. A few tweaks here and there, and I strapped in a full AL100 to walk around the house a bit. It was excellent, and I could hardly wait for the weekend to get it wet in the springs.

I know what you're wondering. You want to know what a life-long (hehe, for 10 months and 95 dives, at least) jacket BC user thought about diving a backplate and wing in a hog harness. Well, you know what they say -- you can't always get what you want. Oh, wait... I suppose that part *was* the entire reason for this rambling bit of narrative. Well, sometimes you *can* get what you want, then. On with the show.

I arrived at the springs and quickly set about gearing up. Of course, that involved more than usual, as I'd also just bought a pair of Turtles to wear with my big drysuit boots, and I had to pop the buckles and clamp on some spring straps. Once that was done, however, it was time to grab the plate... and set it aside while I put new bungee in my computer and compass wrist boots (also made by DSS, but I have the *pink* ones, just to be different). *Anyway*, with that done, I got into my fleecy layer and drysuit, and I made the final adjustments to the hog harness.

People sometimes say it's hard to get into or out of a hog harness, but I dare say, that was not the case for me. Admittedly, it wasn't completely trivial (the first time for any new skill often isn't), but in a drysuit with glove rings and a shoulder dump, I've had just about as much fun trying to get into or out of my jacket BC. Once I was strapped in, it was amazing how well the harness worked. The waist belt was *so* much more comfortable than the jacket BC's cummerbund (which was always either so loose it rode sloppily or so tight it was all but squeezing breakfast out of me like a just opened tube of toothpaste -- I don't have enough... er... "cushion" in the middle, apparently). Anyway, the stability and comfort of the rig in the water was indeed unparalleled.

Which brings us to the good part -- the wing. In my case, it was a DSS Torus 35 (for many reasons, which can quite easily be discussed at length). I'd always heard good things about trim with back inflation (well, that and the bit about the boogey man of face-down at the surface). As for the boogey man, I filled the wing to overflowing at the surface, and I didn't get all dippy bird on myself, so that put that to rest in my mind.

The trim, on the other hand, was something else, indeed! I'd always heard that it puts the buoyancy back near the tank, et cetera, et cetera. All that was true, of course, and quite enjoyable. I'd also occasionally heard someone mention arching their back to maintain horizontal trim, but as a jacket BC user, that didn't really mean anything. I just never thought much about it other than the fact that arching your back doesn't really *do* anything in a jacket -- perhaps I thought it was just another of the commonly accepted placebo-effect myths of diving, or perhaps I just didn't bother thinking at all.

Well, on the first dive with the backplate and wing (and new fins, and different boots, and... and...), I found myself tending to rotate a bit toward head-down. This was a bit annoying, and the standard method of correcting my trim in a jacket BC (i.e. adding a bit of air to the BC) wasn't doing much to help me. If I stopped moving, I'd get all floaty-footed on myself. Although I enjoy looking at the spring bottom, I strongly prefer to be horizontal except for a few close-ups.

So, here I am, hanging above the bottom by my feet and pondering how on earth I'm going to fix my trim now. I had all my ditchable weight on my weight belt already, and I couldn't move the tank lower without impeding my ability to reach the valve. At that point, I was toying with buyer's remorse over the whole backplate and wing thing. I was diving an aluminum tank, so it's not like I could go to a more buoyant cylinder. Perhaps, I thought, I'm condemned to have to buy a plastic or aluminum plate... or (*GASP*) even think about the dreaded ankle weight approach (*noooooooooo*). And then...

ENLIGHTENMENT!

Out of nowhere, the physicist in the back of my brain rapped his meter stick on the chalk tray and finally got my attention. "Hellooooo? Hello out there?" he called, and at last, I paid attention. "You nincompoop! Think of the bubbles! They're not blobs like your dinky jacket BC, they're *hot dogs*! Oi..." (and off my inner physicist went, shaking his head and mumbling about my being so dense as to not have thought of that before).

Yes, Virginia, there be sausages in them there tubes! In a moment of perfect clarity, I suddenly had realized what makes a partially-filled wing such a wonderful thing. The back-arching now made sense. It was all so simple, so obvious! (I was so dense to have overlooked it!) By arching your back slightly (as if you were paused at the very beginning of a leisurely back flip), you put your shoulders "uphill". The bubble follows, putting more of your buoyancy high on your back. By arching slightly forward (as if you now wanted to try the preface to a somersault), you put your shoulders slightly "downhill", sending more of the bubble toward your hips.

That was all it took, just that one revelation. I finned myself horizontal and then ever so slightly arched my back. I paused. I paused a bit longer. Then I smiled (but mostly internally, as I know better than to grin widely and flood my mask -- unless the joke was *really* funny). I was just sitting there in perfect trim, moving neither fin nor finger. Then I arched downward and put myself into a bottom-facing position. A quick fin-flick, and I was back to being in a perfectly stable horizontal aspect. Frankly, it was a *blast*.

The fact the wing lets you so easily control a bubble of air in a long tube along each side of the tank makes active fine control of trim *so* easy. I wouldn't say I was "shocked", but I was certainly well into "surprised" with a slight hint of "amazed" thrown in for good measure. I called Japan and told J. (she whose dad set me on the path to diving, as mentioned about half a column-mile ago) about it after I finished the weekend's diving, and while I said I didn't feel bad for having been diving a jacket this entire time, the difference was unexpected, even for someone who consumes information as voraciously as I.

Well, the rest of the weekend's dives were quite enjoyable, and I continued to play with my new sense of trim control. I also practiced clipping things off, which was also in a completely different league with the hog harness (having the D-rings at precisely the natural arm position was heavenly, after having gone with the jacket for so long). The different manner of wing-dumping compared to my jacket's gazillion quick dumps took a bit of getting used to, and I still have some details to work on and adjust as necessary, but all in all, it was some really nice diving.

My first ever out-of-the-pool dive was in this very spring. For that dive, I had a rented jacket BC, rented reg with console gauges, cheap store wetsuit, and interesting fins. (I *did* already have the watch-band-style wrist-mounted Gekko.) The last dive of the weekend, I was there in the same spring, but this time it was a solo night dive, and I had a hog-rigged backplate and wing, a reg with only the SPG attached (everything else on bungees on my wrists), a drysuit (with dry gloves, even), Turtles (with these boots, Jets with my others), and even a slung pony. It's amazing how much you can change in 10 months.

Oh, and it was my 100th dive.

After the dive, I celebrated quietly by myself (by downing the seventh 20-ounce bottle of water that day), and I loaded up all eight tanks and the rest of the gear for my drive back to Baton Rouge. By the time I reached Alabama, I was too tired to continue without a break, so I pulled into the welcome center for a well-earned nap. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought of all that I've done in the past year and the last 100 dives, and I thought of what might await me in the next.

While I slept in my car, the rains came.

Good for you. Welcome to the DSS community.

Welcome to the dark side. There's a reason Darth Vader's breathing sounds like that... :)

Roak

What a post! I laughed, I cried... it was better than cats!

Entertaining post, really.... now you've got me wanting to look into a bp/w setup. Think i'll get a few more dives out of my zeagle ranger first though :D

Wow, what do you do in your spare time???? Great read....Don't you miss WI, it's freezing rain/snow mix today after 10" yesterday???

Wow "CJ:...that's pretty long...when's the "book on tape" coming out!:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom