400m swim for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richarddean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing the 400m swim in the allocated times allowed

thanks

Shave your legs and wear a Speedo :huh:

Seriously, like with any goal setting you need to first honestly assess where you are today and were you want to be.

This is swimming related goal. Can you swim that distance today ? Can you do it in the time alloted ? If not, then you need to develop a sucess plan to close the gap. Set reasonable and measurable intermediate goals. Then go execute your plan. (i.e. go swimming).

Good luck.

I had two friends go for DM recently as part of the same class. One made it, one didn't. The guy that made it approached each task methodically, trying to plan out the best way to accomplish each one. He trained for the 400 meter swim. He swam the distance as many times as he could before the real test, doing what he could to go a little faster each time. When he took the test he new in advance what he needed to do to make the time. He said if you try to do it cold, you're dead...unless of course you're already a pretty darn good distance swimmer. I haven't done it, but this guy's approach made sense to me.

Makai

Yes, practice is good. And it is important to stay in your anaerobic zone--don't swim so fast that you get out of breath--steady wins the passing score. Find the best distance stroke for you, it is not always the crawl. Might even want a "resting" stroke like the side stroke or backstroke in case you get a little winded.

theskull

My advice, get 5s on the others and just try to scrape the 400m swim - thats what i did. The swim nearly killed me. Lost all use of my arms and legs. Nasty thing.

Do you really think you should be a DM if you can't do the swim in the time allotted? :popcorn:

use your legs on the turns at the walls :D

dont try to be an olympic swimmer and do the fancy summersault turns....grab the edge with both hands....bring your legs to the wall (BENT!!) and kick off....stay under water with your arms outstretched and legs extendd until you feel yourself slow down to the point that you can swim faster than you are gliding....then start kicking.....break the surface and start using your arms :D

dont breath with every arm stroke....breathing breaks your streamline and slows ya down

400 m is only 16 laps in a 25 meter pool....say 16 minutes should be more than enough, and you might be able to do it between 10 and 15 minutes. What is the timie limit again?

I would recommend getting a swimming coach or enrolling in a swimming class if your times are off. Sometimes a professional can show you easier ways to shave minutes off your time than brute force.

400m really isnt as bad as yall make it out to be. anything is easy with a little training, and if you didnt have to be in some kind of shape to do it, then it wouldnt be a requirement for DM. it doesnt take long to acclimatize to a new exercise. i trained for a triathalon about 3 years ago and had to work up to 72 laps, a 400m is only 16 laps. start small and work up. start with 6 laps at a time, catch your breath, do another 6. bump it up to 8 laps the next week and so on. if you expect to go out and do 16 without any training then you really will kill yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom