Shark free diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to arrange a honeymoon for October/November somewhere around the South Pacific Islands (sorry not really narrowed this down yet).

I'm looking for good dive sites around the Pacific Islands (for new divers) that are shark free. Personally I like the idea of diving with sharks but my girlfriend has a real phobia about them and wont even consider diving where they may be around.

Can anyone help out?

Dreaming Silver:
Right now I'm trying to arrange a honeymoon for October/November somewhere around the South Pacific Islands (sorry not really narrowed this down yet).

I'm looking for good dive sites around the Pacific Islands (for new divers) that are shark free. Personally I like the idea of diving with sharks but my girlfriend has a real phobia about them and wont even consider diving where they may be around.

Can anyone help out?

Well, sharks live in saltwater... so anywhere in the world will have sharks!

Also if you have an area of fresh water that runs into salt water, chances are there an be bull sharks in that as well.. as they can swim in fresh water :D

Good luck!

Maybe you should consider someplace in the Carib. Good luck on finding a place in the Pacific with a no shark guarantee.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Why don't you help her overcome her fear of sharks by talking to her and letting her know that the "Jaws" myth is not reality.

Show her some statistics regarding shark attacks on divers, and also all of the people who regularly dive with sharks.

Once she sees a shark in the wild on a dive, she will see how beautiful they are.
She might even think they are pretty cool...

Bill

I'm no help with the South Pacific, but if you want shark-free diving, feel free to come dive anywhere I go. Someday, I'll get to see a shark...

Yeesh :hai:

You may be better off looking for a swimming pool in the Mid-West...

I thought you wanted to go free diving with sharks.

haha thats what i thought too. then after reading the post i was still really confused at the weird title until i just read your post and realized what it actually means :)

The guy with the attack dog avatar tells you to learn about sharks and she might find them beautiful. That's too hilarious, even though his point is correct.

From our experience, as those who want to see them, it would seem that the reverse psychology approach would work. If you try to go somewhere and see sharks, you won't see any.

If you want a good place to learn about sharks and deal with people who are accustomed to them, Tahiti is the deal. After going on the snorkel shark feed, and spending more time around them, we found that everything in the ocean respects size. Typically, sharks don't want anything to do with you. Go in for one hour, no problem. Bob around all day, eventually, they will get curious.

I would agree with the others, that it will be a lot easier to try to work on her phobia, spending your time on that, so you can go good places in the future.

So our recommendation is that you beat your head against the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom