In Who's Eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Leah's thread on how to define a good diver and the widely varying responses helped me focus a bit on just what is a good diver. In the years since I've been certified I've seen a bunch of divers from many different disciplines, and some from no discipline.

I've heard and experienced others say so-and-so is, or is not, a good diver based on type of gear, age, sex, training, home place, and other criteria. Heaven knows there has been a lot of cyberspace taken up on the subject. I've always sort of said if the person is a Professional (which includes having competence in their skills enough to be safe and respect for themselves and everything around them) that was enough. But, even that is open to a wide variety of definitions.

So, I've come to the conclusion that saying someone is a good diver is akin to saying a particular restaurant is a good restaurant. A restaurant is good, or not, depending on the individual's taste buds. A diver is a good diver, or not, depending on the individual's perceptions. Some of those may be so deep in the mind that the person making the judgement can't even articulate them

Keeping that in mind, henceforth I'm only going to ask two questions:
First; is the diver competent enough to not kill or injure themself or me?
Second; is the diver having fun? If we are to dive together will the other diver contribute to my having fun?

If the answer to both is "yes" that is a good diver and I'll gladly dive with them and learn from them.

EXACTLY!

As a "freelance" drummer (out of work for the sake of argument) I have friends both musicians and non-musicians who ask me who the best drummer is..it's basically a question with no answer. (insert guitar player, bass player, keyboard player, singer, basoon artist..etc...same thing.) I have 100 favorite drummers...let me list them...ok, I won't:D

This is the same type of question...ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers..none wrong except to each other.

I guess the question asked could be; how do you define a safe diver? a competant diver, a happy diver, etc...

Maybe the better question is; Who (or what) inspires you in regards to diving?:wink:

ArcticDiver:
Leah's thread on how to define a good diver and the widely varying responses helped me focus a bit on just what is a good diver. In the years since I've been certified I've seen a bunch of divers from many different disciplines, and some from no discipline.

I've heard and experienced others say so-and-so is, or is not, a good diver based on type of gear, age, sex, training, home place, and other criteria. Heaven knows there has been a lot of cyberspace taken up on the subject. I've always sort of said if the person is a Professional (which includes having competence in their skills enough to be safe and respect for themselves and everything around them) that was enough. But, even that is open to a wide variety of definitions.

So, I've come to the conclusion that saying someone is a good diver is akin to saying a particular restaurant is a good restaurant. A restaurant is good, or not, depending on the individual's taste buds. A diver is a good diver, or not, depending on the individual's perceptions. Some of those may be so deep in the mind that the person making the judgement can't even articulate them

Keeping that in mind, henceforth I'm only going to ask two questions:
First; is the diver competent enough to not kill or injure themself or me?
Second; is the diver having fun? If we are to dive together will the other diver contribute to my having fun?

If the answer to both is "yes" that is a good diver and I'll gladly dive with them and learn from them.

Ok Ok....I'm just starting out and what you have said about being a good diver is exactly what I said to convince others this is going to be a good adventure.

Being safe and having fun doing and exploring incredible places.

By the way, I was in Alaska last February; it's beautiful at Hatcher's Pass. Willow Side!

ArticDiver, do you plan on diving those reefs near you?

My compliments to all of you for a very positive thread. I agree with the identified characteristics. Diving is supposed to be fun, andi want to dive with people that appreciate that fact.

Very inclusive and politically correct viewpoint. I think it's incredibly off base and misguided. Yes, there are lots of divers who aren't likely to kill themselves or their buddy who are having fun who are absolutely terrible divers. Have you no standards?

sgad:
Ok Ok....I'm just starting out and what you have said about being a good diver is exactly what I said to convince others this is going to be a good adventure.

Being safe and having fun doing and exploring incredible places.

By the way, I was in Alaska last February; it's beautiful at Hatcher's Pass. Willow Side!

ArticDiver, do you plan on diving those reefs near you?

Which reefs?

ArcticDiver:
Which reefs?
I'm wondering the same thing ... didn't realize there were any reefs near Fairbanks ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walter:
Very inclusive and politically correct viewpoint. I think it's incredibly off base and misguided. Yes, there are lots of divers who aren't likely to kill themselves or their buddy who are having fun who are absolutely terrible divers. Have you no standards?

:rofl3: Thanks Walter. In my entire life I have never been labeled as being politically correct. You get the award for being the first.

Walter:

I'm sure artic diver has standards, just different than Walters...and that's the crux of this issue.

Also believe Leah was rhetorically asking question about perfection...something none of us are.

Striving to be perfect, can be done, being that way, way to boring. Colorful dialogue, like the surprises of the ocean that calls us, much better way to live, and have fun!

Hoa!

I may not know what a good diver is but I know I can recognize one when I see him/her. And, I can also clearly recognize a bad diver when I see one. I often give the benefit of the doubt to people and in almost every case, they have proven to deserve that benefit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom