30 ft3 pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if I use an 80cf stage bottle I still use the same weight.
I only use aluminum stage bottles, Steel would be far to heavy.

a AL30 cylinder with reg should be close to neutral when full, so... none. A steel 45 might be a different story, if you were sure you wouldn't be handing it off.

I've actually had to add weight (2#) to balance off my pony. It means I'm slightly over-weighted, but I prefer that so I remain more stable when filming in the shallows. My pony is attached to my primary tank, so I won't be handing it off to anyone.

I carry an AL 27 pony, and at 3000 psi. it is positively bouyant. Not much, but positive nonetheless. I guess the only way to know is to find out the bouyancy of your tank empty, in the water. At least that's where I'd start.

ScouterJT:
all else equal, how much weight can I remove if I carry a 30 ft3 pony tank?
all else equal, an AL30 is about +1.2 empty, so you add weight!
:11:

ScouterJT:
all else equal, how much weight can I remove if I carry a 30 ft3 pony tank?

An AL 30 has a -1.0 lb bouyancy when full, a +1.2 lb bouyancy when empty. That doesn't take into consideration the strap, clips, etc. But, you're not talking about a lot of negative bouyancy.

When I dive an AL 40 as a pony, I don't change my weight from what I use without it.

None is correct if it is a Luxfer aluminum cylinder.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom