Opinions anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just looking for reactions/thoughts on a diver who says they don't like to dive deeper than 30', that way if something happens they can just swim up to the surface.

A few things... first this is slightly paraphrased from a new OW diver (less than 10 dives) and while I guess I'm glad they don't go diving deeper than that, I can't say the idea of staying shallow so you can ascend everytime sounds too smart.

Opinions, thoughts.... :popcorn:

Well, one must admit that it does reduce some of the hazards of diving.

I trust the OP stated that the ascent would not exceed 60'/min.?

Also, so much of what is seen in diving can be found at those depths.

To each his/her own.

the K

How interesting. I just talked with a friend here in TX who dives with the same philosophy. If you weren't in AZ, I would think we had talked to the same person. This lady has a fear of going so deep she can't reach the surface on a single breath of air. She's adamant about not going deeper than 30 feet. Which in my mind would be fine if her reasoning was "she sees everything she wants to see in 30 feet" or something of that nature. Anyway this same lady will surface several times during her 30 foot dive and then re-descend. As a matter of fact on her last trip to Coz, her family said she basically "dove" at the surface above them because she couldn't get passed her mental block in order to join them on the reef at 30 feet. So, she cruised above them at about 5 feet the whole dive.

My thoughts...this is weird. If I had that great of a fear of diving I don't think it would be worth it. If you're that worried about it...then perhaps you should consider finding another hobby.

I don't rock climb because I have an unrealistic fear of heights. I know it's unrealistic because the military psychologists have told me so, and they are never wrong. I have no fear of flying, or jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft, but the second I'm on a high ledge or near a window of a tall building....I start sweating for no reason. No problem with depth however.

Sounds fine to me. As far as I'm concerned the line between recreatonal diving and technical diving is the depth from which you can comfortably get yourself back to the surface. Once you're too deep (or have stayed too long) to perform a proper ESA you become equipment dependent and need to start thinking like a technical diver.

talonraid:
I have no fear of flying, or jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft, but the second I'm on a high ledge or near a window of a tall building....I start sweating for no reason. No problem with depth however.
Me too, exactly the same, and my son also. Genetic?

Booth in theory we should be able to perform a CESA and make a direct ascent to the surface, even in 60 feet of water at a rate under 60 feet/min. However at depth shallower then 30 feet it's easier for people to have confidence that they can make it (with out understanding why you get additional breaths during a CESA assent it may be hard for some people to have faith in) I say if you feel more comfortable shallower than 30 stay shallow. You can always work on making yourself a better diver without having to go deeper.

I don't see an issue with it as long as they know to ascend slowly even from that depth. However, you would hope that they would spend at least a little bit of time trying to correct the situation before heading to the surface.

It is refreshing to hear about someone with a healthy respect for diving and takes their own skill level into account. I much prefer to hear about this than to hear about someone that is a poor, inexperienced diver and only wants to dive deep. They not only put their life in danger, but also the lives of the others in the water with them.

Maybe after they get more dives under their belt they will get a little bit more confident in their diving skills and will decide that it is okay to go deeper. The last thing you want to do is to talk them into going deeper before they are comfortable in doing so.

Dive how you want to dive, just do it safely and enjoy the sport. My wife is one who is not fond of going below 35', not because of the OOA situation, but just a comfort level. As long as she is enjoying the sport, I accept any limitations she puts on it.

People dive because they love to dive. I personally enjoy the 15' of the river as much as the 160' dive to a wreck.
:monkeydan

"Me too, exactly the same, and my son also. Genetic?" Thalassamania

Well, perhaps....but I don't think you and I are related.:D

Great line in a Dirty Harry Movie "Mans got to know his limitations"...better to be comfortable and happy than to be stressed and dangerous!

Hoa!

talonraid:
"Me too, exactly the same, and my son also. Genetic?" Thalassamania

Well, perhaps....but I don't think you and I are related.:D
Go back 32 generations and we're all related. :D Anyone else in your family have a fear of intermediate heights?

Back
Top Bottom