Questions About My Upcoming Bahama Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIVES4SHARKS

SHARK DIVA AI
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a newly certified OW/NITROX diver. I am preparing to head to the Bahamas next week. I have just found the site of the hotel and dive group that we will be diving with. I was certified for 100FT with SSI. I have not dove past 48FT and only in freshwater springs. I am wondering, if the dives for this trip are beyond my current levels of skills. I will be going with my instructor and dive shop, and a few have been diving for over 15 yrs. I have been training with a mentor who is a cave diver. He has helped clean me up quite a bit and my confidence is ok. I just wonder if I am biting off more than I can chew. I have completed 12 OW dives at this point.

http://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/caribdiv.html

Is anyone familiar with this dive shop? :confused: I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Thanks so much!

Carolyn
Ps...of course I am doing a shark dive! :D
ONWARD, DOWNWARD, and into the BLUE!

Carolyn, there's not a whole lot in the bahamas thats out of your reach. It's just about the perfect dive conditions, warm water, great viz... and most of the dives are not very deep. You should have a great time. besides, you'll be surprised how little you notice the difference between 48ft and 60ft.

Have fun on the shark dive, I really wish I had done it when I was there.

I was in the Bahamas when I first became certified. I was not on the same island, I was at Nassau and dove with Stuart Coves. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of the dives that we did. I cannot say if it will be the exact same there but I would assume its the same typical diving. We had 100+ feet of vis and it was even right after a Hurricane. I would also recommend the shark dives. I had the privledge of being able to do the feeding program at Stuart Coves. Yes it cost a lot but man it was one hell of an experience.

Bahamas03.jpg

Thats me, with my instructor hidden behind the sharks next to the feed box.

At the time I did have my AOW but I had no dives in the ocean. They were all fresh water dives.

Those are some stylin' threads! I take it you didn't need a weight belt?

Oh well, I guess I am just the worry wart of the bunch. I just has a philosophical issue of taking somene with 12 dives to 100ft when she's not had the first bit of experience in gas planning, when she will have an instabuddy, when she is still working on her buoyancy, etc.

I'd probably suggest a 60ft limit for the first day, see how it goes, then maybe extend that on day 2 if everything is working out and the buddy is solid. But again, I'm sure Im just a worry wart. :)

If you're going with your instructor and dive shop, then they will support your decision to not dive deep and only dive within your limits and comfort zone. Only you can determine what that is, but from your post, it sounds like you're not comfortable with the 100' idea. Listen to your gut, it's not often wrong.

LIVES4SHARKS:
I am a newly certified OW/NITROX diver....and my confidence is ok. I just wonder if I am biting off more than I can chew.

ok? confidence should be more than OK for advanced dives. But then again, you don't seem to scare easily if you're doing a shark dive. I did my Bahama shark dive last year. You'll love it. It was within "OW depth". Yes, do let them know your experience so far and under no circumstance let anyone convince you to dive beyond your comfort zone or training.

Back
Top Bottom