Socially Responsible Consumerism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Call me a bleeding heart liberal wacko, but, given the choice, I prefer to buy stuff from manufacturers who pay a living wage and try to reduce their environmental impact. This is kinda like the old "Mom-and-Pop Local Dive Shop vs. web-based mega-retailer" argument, only it's about the makers, not the sellers. I realize this brings up a lot of touchy subjects, but, hey, I like a spirited discussion!

My question is: Can anybody suggest manufacturers/brands who would better be described as progressive/environment-/worker-friendly vs. mega-corp multinational neo-imperialist?

To start things off, I've heard some opinions about ScubaPro, their new ownership and corporate structure. Not real sure what to make of that, and would like to know more. Haven't heard so much about this one, but I'm also curious about Posiedon's new owners.

What do you think?

:popcorn:

Free Market will dictate wages and prices. Artificially inflating either or the government regulation of either will eventually cause problems. :no

Just my 500 psi

1_T_Submariner:
:popcorn:

Free Market will dictate wages and prices. Artificially inflating either or the government regulation of either will eventually cause problems. :no

Just my 500 psi
Only when a free market is, in reality, a free market. Which it rarely is. Almost every market I've ever looked at tends toward monopoly or some other form of corruption when it is not regulated and policed. But too much regulation can kill the market just as surely. A balance is required.

Lets keep the thread focused on the OPs question.

Zeagle makes all their BCDs in the US. I do not know any Zeagle employees personally, but I would guess they make a decent wage.

REEF Check and PADI promote environmental awareness and education.

I work in manufacturing. It's hard to imagine how you could manufacture the gear of SCUBA without a pretty big environmental impact. I mean, have you ever seen a smelter? Nevertheless, I still think it's possible that manufacturers have choices. I was just wondering if any of you had any information.

I was trying to answer the OP's question. The wages, benefits of the workers that make the equipment should be based on skill, knowledge etc.... If the company wants to tout their environmental responsibility and that makes you feel good to buy from them then that is great.

I don't know how any of the companies treat thier employees but, if you don't treat them word will get out (or should). The company will also have a hard time keeping them and maintaining quality.

rakkis:
Lets keep the thread focused on the OPs question.

Zeagle makes all their BCDs in the US. I do not know any Zeagle employees personally, but I would guess they make a decent wage.

REEF Check and PADI promote environmental awareness and education.

sambolino44:
My question is: Can anybody suggest manufacturers/brands who would better be described as progressive/environment-/worker-friendly vs. mega-corp multinational neo-imperialist??
Halcyon is one (among other) manufacturer(s) who are small, who are progressive, who employ local workers in areas where few other employers exist, and who serve a relatively small percentage of divers. Plus, they make good gear. So check them out, you bleeding heart liberal wacko! :D

http://www.halcyon.net/

1_T_Submariner:
I was trying to answer the OP's question.
So was I, but we need to define the terms of "socially or environmentally responsible."

sambolino44:
Call me a bleeding heart liberal wacko, but, given the choice, I prefer to buy stuff from manufacturers who pay a living wage and try to reduce their environmental impact. This is kinda like the old "Mom-and-Pop Local Dive Shop vs. web-based mega-retailer" argument, only it's about the makers, not the sellers. I realize this brings up a lot of touchy subjects, but, hey, I like a spirited discussion!

My question is: Can anybody suggest manufacturers/brands who would better be described as progressive/environment-/worker-friendly vs. mega-corp multinational neo-imperialist?

To start things off, I've heard some opinions about ScubaPro, their new ownership and corporate structure. Not real sure what to make of that, and would like to know more. Haven't heard so much about this one, but I'm also curious about Posiedon's new owners.

What do you think?

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the American Communist Party?:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom