NASDS Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brdr882

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was certified in 2000 right around the crossover between NASDS and SSI. I was one of the ones lucky enough to get a copy of the NASDS Manual (the one with the sea horse on the front) when i took the course. I love the book. Its easy to read but not foofy like a lot of the new manuals today. Has a lot of great information. Unfortunately In the past 7 years at some point it got wet and the pages have become crispy and stuck together. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a good copy (hasn't gotten wet, has all the pages, you know) of the book that would be awesome. Maybe there's a warehouse full of these somewhere?

I'll have to ask my dad, he may still have his NASDS manuals.

May be available on ebay or in the Amazon used marketplace. I replaced my 1970's copy of 'Safe Scuba', the manual I used in 1974 with NASDS from Amazon.

Thanks dawgdiver. I did look into eBay and Amazon as well, the only thing I could find was what rookers did the older safe scuba manual. I'll keep looking though, perhaps someone made an electronic copy of it somewhere.

The original Safe Scuba was written by Bill Hogan. Bill had been a pioneer local dive shop owner and a close confident of John Gafney the founder of NASDS. Bill went through the big D, lost his shop to his wife, owned a dive bar for a while then became a gentleman farmer in Costa Rica..He has been in the big reef in the sky for about 2 years,

A gentleman unknown to me by the name of Zornes (?) put his name as the Author of Safe Scuba for the remainder of the issues, althoug it had been written by Hogan--
That was NASDS and Goofey Gafney!

I would stronly sugges that you try E bay--they are generally listed for about $10.00 +shipping. Like many things of that era they are becoming increasinly rare and the selling price is also inceasing at a expodential rate.

Cheers from California--where it all began

Anyone by chance have a copy of the NASDS Skin Diving book - not SCUBA. It came out in the early 80's I think. I was in it along with John Gaffney's girlfriend at the time. My copy along with all dive equipment was lost and I hope to replace some of the special memories.

I have a Safe Scuba + Manual which is the advanced course manual and the Safe Scuba Manual. The safe scuba + has a 1984 print date and has a pic of 2 divers in cold water gear looking at compass. The safe scuba manual has a 10th printing date of 1981 and has 3 pics on cover diver with dolphin, diver at boat and diver with pufferfish Average condition $15usd for the 2 plus shipping

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom