Solo Diver worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If I join the Solo Diver Forum and it then shows on my profile, will people think I am a Solo Diver? And does it matter if they do?

:)

Just another Friday. Lake is still frozen.

No but joining the singles diver forum and your wife finding out might....

Don't they make drills and ice saws anymore? :D

(I'm currently entertaining myself with a Vizinni vs. the Dread Pirate Roberts battle of wits about whether it's better to join the solo forum.)

piikki:
If I join the Solo Diver Forum and it then shows on my profile, will people think I am a Solo Diver?

Probably not. I suspect some people join just to argue about it.

piikki:
And does it matter if they do?

No.

I for one, would prefer that only solo divers or those interested in trying solo diving post in this forum. There are few enough venues for discussion among its' practicioners and i welcome learning from their
experience and configurations. Many threads on the forums seem to be becoming a sparring contest and it's getting depressing.

Why join the solo forum if your not a solo interested diver? There is enough anti solo bashing by people who really don't know or undertand or even actually solo dive without another. N

Nemrod:
Why join the solo forum if your not a solo interested diver? There is enough anti solo bashing by people who really don't know or undertand or even actually solo dive without another. N

Who said he was not interested? And, who said he would be an anti-solo basher?

Comments like yours incite unnecessary confrontation!

Nemrod:
I didn't read that into the question ... maybe he's interested in learning more, but doesn't want to be labelled something he's not.

Kind've like me not wanting to be labelled a DIR diver, despite the fact that I've taken some DIR classes.

Some folks prefer to just keep it loose, and participate with an open mind ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, Sharky, you might look at the post just above mine (JimT), the solo forum rarely actually gets to discuss solo diving aspects because of the amount of bashing and arguing about solo that goes on. I see this--whether you find it confrontational or not. This is like the DIR Forum is not a place to discuss the attributes or motives of DIR but to discuss how to Do It Right from a ***DIR ONLY STANDPOINT***--I see the solo forum in the same way. Discussions on solo or not and why solo and is solo dangerous are better left to a general forum rather than polluting a forum occupied by divers who have for whatever reason or purpose decided to dive solo and now want to learn more. It is a SOLO DIVER FORUM for discussing diving from a solo perspective and again says so in the forum rules---please read them before you jump on me and run your mouth and charge me with being exactly what you are.

The OPs question---he stated he was not a solo diver. He said it, not me. I asked then why join the forum if your not solo? It was rhetorical and not combative.

The OP post:
------------------------------------------------------------------
"If I join the Solo Diver Forum and it then shows on my profile, will people think I am a Solo Diver? And does it matter if they do?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If he is a solo diver or interested why then would he care--perhaps I just don't understand or more likely the OP does not actually state his underlying question. He does not say he is solo--he definitly implies he is not.

Imagine going into the DIR Forum and staing that standard hoses were right and that a 6 foot hose was better than a seven foot hose and carrying the can light strapped to the tank was more right than having it on the right hand waist and that wings were inferior to hosecollars and looping the hose on the tank was more right than necklacing and that DIR is dangerous because it is team dependent. How long do you think it would go before a melt down---and you think I am combative. Uh, that is rhetorical again BTW. They have already commited to DIR, they are not interested in discussing that as they have moved beyond questioning the foundations of their method. Solo is the same---we have moved beyond questioning the safety of, morality, PadI opinions of solo diving.

N

Nemrod,

Your reply didn't refer to the OP not be a solo diver...it said "solo interested." And, you have no evidence that the OP was here for any reason other than to learn. You are certainly entitled to your points of view, but there is absolutely no need to take personal shots at persons without cause.

<edit> And, BTW, Jim T's post presented his point of view without jumping to conclusions or attacking the OP.

Back
Top Bottom