Specialty Classes SSI outline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
That is one cryptic title...

I am working on figureing out what specialty courses to take. I have been trying to find the outline for the courses online somewhere so I could maximize my $$.

Is there anyone who has this information.

Thanks.

I Would take navagation first and make sure you have that down. Then take a nitrox, deep diving, night and limted viz, maybe search and rescue....O and i would take stress and rescue. most LDS have a master diver program which is like 499 and it includes 4 specialty class's and stress and rescue.

doghouse:
That is one cryptic title...

I am working on figureing out what specialty courses to take. I have been trying to find the outline for the courses online somewhere so I could maximize my $$.

Is there anyone who has this information.

Thanks.

For SSI, you need 4 specialties to attain Advanced Open Water certification. Most instructors will recommend that you take Deep, Night/Low viz, Nav, and Wreck. Of course you can choose whichever you want though. After that you can take Stress/Rescue and qualify for Master Diver after 50 dives.

By the way, my LDS is packaging together 4 specialties for me to get my AOW for $299. I'd ask your shop if they'll do the same thing.

go to www.ssiusa.com for details on each specialty. Or check out my LDS website at www.diveatlanta.com

yea but for 200 more why not just get your master diver. stress and rescue is a very informative class. i would make sure you get nitrox in there some where. nitrox opens your diving world to another level for sure.

Dawgdiver has some good advice. My LDS offers the Advanced Open Water course cheaper than you can get the actual specialties separately.

Best I can suggest is that you look at where/what type of diving you will be doing and meet the needs of that first. For example, you are in Hampton Roads according to your profile. If your diving will be centralized there, I would get my Night/Limited Vis, Deep, and Navigation certs; simply determine what fits your needs.

Also, if a dry suit cert interests you, DUI (dry suit manufacturer) has several Dog Days Rally dates on the East coast. The one in Virginia isn't until October, but the event is worth the mere $8 per day. Here's a link to their calendar: http://www.dui-online.com/2007_rally.asp

*Oregon Diver*:
yea but for 200 more why not just get your master diver. stress and rescue is a very informative class. i would make sure you get nitrox in there some where. nitrox opens your diving world to another level for sure.

SSI does not have a "Master Diver" class. Master diver is a recognition level given to the diver after he completes 4 specialties + stress/rescue, and has 50 logged dives.

What I was looking for was someplace that had a "index" as to what was covered in each of the classes. That way I could figure out which were worth getting.

I am looking at Nav, Night, Wreck, Deep, and Stress & Rescue.

I was wondering what each of the classes taught. At this time I see no benifit to Nitrox. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE A DISCUSSION ABOUT NITROX! I have my opinion, please feel free to keep yours to your self.

doghouse:
What I was looking for was someplace that had a "index" as to what was covered in each of the classes. That way I could figure out which were worth getting.

I'm not sure if there is an online "index" of the material covered in the class, but if you just glance through the books at your LDS you can pretty much figure it out.

You gotta remember though, these are just classes, and you're going to learn the most from experience actually diving. The main benefit you are going to get from getting those specialties is you will get your AOW cert, opening up deeper and more advanced dives for you with some dive ops. The classes will inform you of extra planning/equipment/caution you will need to take to do each kind of dive, but it will be up to you to get good at it.

Go with the specialties you're thinking about, and see if your LDS will cut you a deal for signing up for all 4. $299 should be about right. Then go dive, forget about all that stupid crap like "Equipment specialty", and "Boat diving".

doghouse:

I am looking at Nav, Night, Wreck, Deep, and Stress & Rescue.

I was wondering what each of the classes taught. At this time I see no benifit to Nitrox. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE A DISCUSSION ABOUT NITROX! I have my opinion, please feel free to keep yours to your self.

Well, depending on the quality of your instructor....
NAV may or may not teach about navigating underwater by various methods
Night may or may not teach you how to...um...dive with a flashlight? I really can't figure out what they "teach" for this class
Wreck may or may not teach you how to identify a wreck and notice potential hazards.
Deep may or may not teach you about gas rules for diving.
Hopefully, rescue may teach you some usefull things. I haven't had it yet, but most say it's a great course. Should teach you about identifying stressed divers, self rescue, and buddy rescue. At least CPR and first aid are part of the class, so you can gain that knowledge as well.

Basically, hunt down a good instructor who will challenge you to be a better diver, and not just exchange your cash and time for a new set of cards.

And take Nitrox. It's like the cheapest class available, and doesn't require any dives. how hard can that be?

Comrade Stroke

Check with your LDS; I always recommend to my new students in in this order:
Nitrox, Stress/Rescue, Navigation, Night/LV, Wreck, Deep. These are all great courses that preapre you for advanced and master levels. Then throw in some fun classes like Marine ID and Photo/Video.

Good Luck and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom