Need a quick question answered...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desmo900rider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are leaving for Cozumel in the AM and we just got dive computers, Dacor Darwin Airs...I was unable to contact Dacor today to ask them, so I'm hoping you guys can help...is there any reason we can't put our computers in checked luggage on the plane? I thought I heard someone say that it could pose a problem with the pressure in the checked baggage compartment, my LDS said they have never heard of that. I just don't want to go through the hassle of carrying them on if I don't need to.

TIA,

Mike

There is no issue, have a great trip!

Pete

The only issue I can think of would be your brand new computers getting damaged by your bags being dropped, thrown around, etc. And, depending on your paranoia about baggage handlers, maybe even theft would be a concern. I always wear my computer (wrist-mounted), but even when I had a console I took it in my hand luggage (without security issues). They're expensive pieces of equipment to run these risks in my view.

Have a great trip.

Actually, there may be a problem. People have claimed that TSA handlers "routinely" steal electronics equipment (such as cameras, etc.) and other valuables from checked luggage. An expensive-looking looking watch/console could easily be a target. For something as small as a computer, I'd try to find a way to fit them with your carry-on baggage.

TSA is used to seeing dive computers as carry-on items. As annoying as they may be, I've yet to see a TSA agen unable to ID scuba gear. Stick it in your carry-on.

One other item to consider:

Airlines regularly exclude electronics from coverage if they are in checked baggage. I learned this the hard way, after about 2500 worth of electronics was "misplaced" from my checked baggage. I would suspect that if these computers disappear, the airline won't cover them. I would check w/ the airline to be sure.

John

It has to do with the pressure of checked luggage vs the cabin pressure. Keeping the computer with you in the cabin means the computer is tracking the pressure you are at all the time. When you land and are ready to dive the computer is "in sync" with you.

desmo900rider:
My wife and I are leaving for Cozumel in the AM and we just got dive computers, Dacor Darwin Airs...I was unable to contact Dacor today to ask them, so I'm hoping you guys can help...is there any reason we can't put our computers in checked luggage on the plane? I thought I heard someone say that it could pose a problem with the pressure in the checked baggage compartment, my LDS said they have never heard of that. I just don't want to go through the hassle of carrying them on if I don't need to.

TIA,

Mike

I never put my computer is checked luggage. Not because of the pressure but because of theft. Airline baggage handlers are the biggest collection of unimaginable thieves you can imagine outside of skanky ghetto alleys.

And the airlines deny (a) any knowledge of the fact and (b) any responsibility for your losses....

Anything you can't replace enroute needs to be in your carry-on.

R..

My computer travels with me in hand luggage. Its small and lightweight anyway.
The hold is pressurised and heated so there is no pressure difference to hurt it but i've seen bags get very badly treated, items get stolen and occasionally cases get mistagged and end up in the wrong country and take days to get back to the owner. That's why i carry it with me not in the hold.

Back
Top Bottom