Scuba Diving without Air Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its kind of old news i heard this a few years ago i think.... i'll believe it when i see it in action perhaps a vid?

Awesome....1 kg of batteries gives you an hour? So if we sub out batteries for lead...1kg is roughly 2lbs...I dive with 32lbs...16 hours of dive time?

Score!

Cheers,
Austin

3-Ring Octopus:
Awesome....1 kg of batteries gives you an hour? So if we sub out batteries for lead...1kg is roughly 2lbs...I dive with 32lbs...16 hours of dive time?

Score!

Cheers,
Austin

You also need to factor in the weight of the unit and the weight of your current tanks. It would be an interesting concept if it works without the CO2 scrubber parts. Once you add those you add complexity and cost.

ok, now I have to ask. Is this one of these ideas that sounds good, but will eventually cause problems with the sea life? To use the oxygenated sea water for the use of us humans (who should not be in the water), and therefore taking the use away from the animals who rely on the oxygenated sea water.

This sound a lot like the thinking of people in the past with CFC's, o lets just dump this radioactive waste in the sea, etc etc

just being devils advocate :)

but it would be nice :)

I wonder how much air fish actually process in a day.... im sure it wouldnt make any differance if we did the same thing.

The odd thing is this post was in 2005.....

....2 years later... what is the update????? I googled it and found only the 2005 article on it. Did the project flop or what? Im sure we would have heard something about it, atleast a prototype or something being released.

I bet he ran into some kind of road block and it wasnt economical/praticle/ feasible.

Like I mentioned before, once you add the rebreather parts to it, it becomes expensive and is effectively a semi-closed circuit rebreather. For military purposes it is near useless because of the bubbles on exhalation. For recreational purposes it becomes to too expensive. The main advantage of the unit as I see it is not needing compressed air. However, I would assume you would still need some sort of pony bottle, so that advantage evaporates also.

They have already got such a device. I saw it being used on Star Wars and a James Bond movie. And I've got a few comics book to prove it as well.

Back
Top Bottom