Canine Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I thought it might be fun (or not) to see how many other divers have canine dive buddies that: go on local dive excursions with you, bubble watch, bug people on the beach for their burger, try to follow you into the water, open your beer after your dive, mark your other buddies equipment, etc.

If you do...post a pic of your bud!:D

Poog:coffee:

Attachments

• IMG_0412_2.JPG
    IMG_0412_2.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 240
Poogweese:
Hi, I thought it might be fun (or not) to see how many other divers have canine dive buddies that: go on local dive excursions with you, bubble watch, bug people on the beach for their burger, try to follow you into the water, open your beer after your dive, mark your other buddies equipment, etc.

If you do...post a pic of your bud!:D

I've seen a few people take their dog on dive trips, and found that the dogs tend to get very anxious waiting for their owner to return.

I'm not sure what their level of understanding is, but am reasonably certain they understand that people and dogs can't live underwater.

My friend's dog circled the descent point for quite a long time waiting for his return.

Terry

Our pups go on most weekend local trips with us. We're usually teaching so we take turns on our dives. This way we always have surface support and someone to keep an eye on the pups.

We also bring them on our trips to N. Florida. Here are a couple of photos of the 3 pups and the kitty from our last trip. These photos were taken during the road trip. They're crashed out in the back of the van. That's a German Shepherd, St. Bernard, Weimereinar, and medium hair domestic. BTW, we found the cat on a local dive trip. After 8 hours of hanging out under our van, we had to take him home.

Attachments

• Puppers 007.jpg
    Puppers 007.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Puppers 009.jpg
    Puppers 009.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 62
Web Monkey:
I've seen a few people take their dog on dive trips, and found that the dogs tend to get very anxious waiting for their owner to return.

I'm not sure what their level of understanding is, but am reasonably certain they understand that people and dogs can't live underwater.

My friend's dog circled the descent point for quite a long time waiting for his return.

Terry
This describes my Dalmation when she went diving with me. She was genuinely great to have with me while I was doing my thing. Unfortunately, had to put her to sleep June/2006. She is missed immensely.

Harry Recigno the founder of Sea Tec developed a BC and a full face bubble for a dog, complete with a regulator and small cylinder for the air supply. The dog sucessfully dove to 5-10 feet Underwater,

The dogs owner whose name has been forgotten with the passage of time dove with the dog at every opportunity.

There was also a short news clip on TV about the dog... I also recall a feature article in SDM or some long forgotten dive magazine

That was many years ago ... of course befor PITA(?) PADI and DIR

sdm

My cocker spaniel used to swim and dive after me, if no body hold the leash.

SkullDeformity:
How does traveling with a cat work? Wouldn't they just run off?

:lol:

the cat thing is off topic, but I was wondering the exact same thing.

Dive-aholic:
That's a German Shepherd, St. Bernard, Weimereinar, and medium hair domestic. BTW, we found the cat on a local dive trip. After 8 hours of hanging out under our van, we had to take him home.

Holy Cow! No one's gonna mess with kitty with those three around!!:no

Nice pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom