Mask Rub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uber

Contributor
Reaction score
ONTARIO - I just love Algae and Zebra Mussels! I w
# of dives
200 - 499
Might be a noobish (2nd post so be kind!) question but I have an issue with my mask rubbing on the end of my nose.

It really isn't a big nose!...in fact it doesn't reach the end of the nose housing on the mask... but it does rub on the bottom ... I have tried several masks... all seem to do the same thing... I am stuck with a red blob on the end of my nose for two days after diving. which eventually turns dark brown (imagine the comments!)... No intructors I have spoken to seem to have encontered the problem before... a lady at the local dive store said her daughter had the problem... so at least I am not alone.

I was wondering if anybody has successfully overcome the same issue.... I have tried on literally 100's of masks and they all seem to rub in the same place... I really don't want to blow another $100+ on a mask that does what my Sherwood mask does now...

help??

hmm....

try wearing the mask a lot less tight and see what happens?

perhaps wear some vaseline on the tip of your nose?

make sure you equalize your mask frequently?

H2Andy:
hmm....

I will try the vaseline next time ... I am a new diver so I am obsessed with equalizing everything LOL and the first thing I tried was to make the strap less tight...

That happend to me with a borrowed mask (due to lost luggage), I would even hold the mask away from my face while diving. I finally bought a new mask and it was SO comfortable. A Mares X-vision. You might try one of those. They have really nose "nose covers" !

Uber:
I will try the vaseline next time ... I am a new diver so I am obsessed with equalizing everything LOL and the first thing I tried was to make the strap less tight...

ok... well, had to try the obvious first

you probalby have a unique nose shape ... you're just going to have to find a mask that fits you

SkullDeformity:
Clearly, your nose is broken and you need a new one. Send it back?

You are probably right!!!!:rofl3: I've got a few other body parts that I might have to trade in now I have hit 40!

highlandfarmwv... what is a nose "nose"cover?? I will check out the Mares you mentioned

H2Andy... thanks for your advice... and unique sounds so much better than deformed ...LOL

Uber:
Might be a noobish (2nd post so be kind!) question but I have an issue with my mask rubbing on the end of my nose.

It really isn't a big nose!...in fact it doesn't reach the end of the nose housing on the mask... but it does rub on the bottom ... I have tried several masks... all seem to do the same thing... I am stuck with a red blob on the end of my nose for two days after diving. which eventually turns dark brown (imagine the comments!)... No intructors I have spoken to seem to have encontered the problem before... a lady at the local dive store said her daughter had the problem... so at least I am not alone.

I was wondering if anybody has successfully overcome the same issue.... I have tried on literally 100's of masks and they all seem to rub in the same place... I really don't want to blow another $100+ on a mask that does what my Sherwood mask does now...

help??
See if the height of the strap is the issue. Lower it in relation to the mask. So when you look at the mask on your head from the side, the strap at the back is lower than the mounting points on the mask itself. (hope this makes sense) This way there is a slight downward pulling force on the mask, releasing pressure at the bottom and nose area..

H2Andy:
hmm....

Well, I might look like the biggest newbie for asking this, but what do you mean by "equalize your mask". Never heard of that before, ears yes, but mask no.

Contrast:
Well, I might look like the biggest newbie for asking this, but what do you mean by "equalize your mask". Never heard of that before, ears yes, but mask no.

Breathe out your nose and put some air into the mask to offset the squeeze with depth. That is equalizing your mask.

Back
Top Bottom