worst REG...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok guys what is the Worst reg out on the market? Just wondering what eveyone thinks.

This one should be good :popcorn:

Even the lowest end regs have a purpose...for example the Sherwood Brut as a rental workhorse.

Cheers.

-J.-

Well, the wettest-breathing reg on the market is the HOV Mark I. It's also prone to free-flows. The work-of-breathing is low (other than the wetness), but used improperly, it is far more prone to causing barotrauma (as well as blunt trauma). It comes separate configurations for left-handed and right-handed valves, but it is possible (if a bit cumbersome) to use the wrong-handed version. It is not possible to use the reg with an SPG, "octo", or inflator, which may be a significant drawback. On the other hand, it is *the* cheapest reg on the market, as well as *the* lightest reg for divers who travel, so it's not all negative, and it makes for a viable "last resort" regulator, as it can be attached to a tank underwater without fear of damage.

Some boats have actually been reported to kick divers off for using the reg, but there are also many stories of divers hailed as highly qualified (if a bit reckless) for their capability of using it. At one point, many years ago, learning with the reg was standard practice in scuba classes, but they have since gone to more advanced (and expensive) regs.

Anyway, although it has a few "positive" aspects, I definitely say the HOV Mark I is by far *the* "worst" reg on the market.

(Oh, the full name? Hand-On-Valve)

Maybe, just maybe you should refrase the question.:huh:

What is the worst reg YOU ever had?

And for me that would be the SP R190/mk2 I just did not like it at 30m.
After that I owend a Mares Abyss/MR22 and that was way to haevy
Now I dive a Atomic Ti1 and I'm loving it.
So does that answer your question?

US divers or Sherwood

but...they always worked

Goto your LDS and look to see what they're using on pool/OW rigs. That's probably close to your worst reg.

plot:
Goto your LDS and look to see what they're using on pool/OW rigs. That's probably close to your worst reg.
...or your best. While the regs my LDS uses in the pool don't breathe as sweetly as my regs, mine would not likely survive students nearly so well. If I'm ever going to bash my reg against things, flood it, and make all those newbie mistakes, I might have to consider a nice, bulletproof workhorse reg. :D

On the other hand, your LDS might be renting junk to make the for-sale regs even sweeter. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom