DUI DOG Rally - Pelham, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was a weekend of firsts for me. First time in a quarry, first time diving in a drysuit. The DUI Rally was terrific, they had tons of suits, undergarments and misc related stuff for everybody without any waiting around.
People gawking at a drysuit for the first time - like me - were given the opportunity to ask questions and get great answers from people in the know.
I got there early with a list of suits I wanted to look at and test dive. I was fitted for the seals, sized up for undergarments, asked questions about my tendencies to get cold easily or not, then given boots(socks), the underwear and suit. People were there to help us don our self donning suits and to insure we did it correctly.
I got suited up, felt like a marshmellow man and waddled over to the table where my rig was ready. Opps, fins wont slip over the drysuit. NO problemo, DUI had tons of fins in assorted sizes and I was promptly given fins - Jets with super duper size slots for my booted up feet.
I then put on my rig, hooked up my harness, grabbed my mask and fins and walked down the steps to the dive area. I quickly learned that this drysuit meant I needed weights and DUI was right there with people prepping weight belts and handing them over.
Next, I stepped into the water. Having only dove with wetsuits, I expected my feet, then legs to start getting cold as the water creeped in but Noooooooo, this drysuit thing is all right, I was dry, warm, not feeling the cold water. Woohoo, there just may be something to this dry suit diving afterall.
Now confidently, I stepped out onto the platform, about waist deep. I was greeted by an instructor and we talked about my experience level and what I wanted to do with my Test dive.
We went down and swam along the wall, probably about a 20-25 minute dive, no deeper than 55 feet although, I was really just paying attention to the fact that the only thing wet was my hands. I couldnt feel water on my face and head and rarely ever do even when wetsuitting it. Man, that quarry water is cold. I wasnt cold but I could tell it was chillybean. My hands got pretty cold but not intolerable. I think the water temp was 54F at the coldest which is a new world record low for me but I realize that is nothing compared to you TRULY dedicated divers of from the frozen north and northwest.
Ok, my first quarry. Guys, what do you see in a quarry? Some fish, like trout, catfish and some perch? An old car, some culverts, a schoolbus? Pardon me but whoopie doo. I guess if I lived close by, I would dive the sucker all the time but since I am far away, I can say it is not a good dive site. However, the key words are "dive site" and that sure beats the bath tub doesnt it?
My first drysuit dive was,, umm, ahem, well, not ideal. I was afraid of putting too much air in the suit so I hardly put any which meant I was squeezed all over like an orange in the juicer. Not unbearable but definitely noticeable.
Then I did another dive, forget the list, I used the same model suit. Much better this time. Oh, so this is how it feels with air in it? hmmm, not bad when you take out the squeezing. Still, I found it very restrictive but that could be because I am not used to the suit or the suit was not ideally fitted for me.
DUI was terrific. They gave us test divers hats, answered our questions, had every kind of suit available for demo dives and even had reps around to measure us in the event we wanted to be fitted.
Plus, and here is the kicker, I got a coupon for a free signature series upgrade and a free sports package if I buy a suit within the next 6 months. That gives me 6 months to beat on my dealer for that 'special' price.
I met some great people. Put some faces to some ScubaBoard names, got a cool looking hat, test dove some dry suits and experienced a quarry. What a weekend!!!
Only one thing,, the hat Reads, DUI Test Diver. I can picture some cop stopping me and seeing me wearing that hat. His eyes are gonna see DUI Test DRiver and think I am a drunk driver and proud of it. I can see me trying to explain what DUI is and that it says Test DIVER, not DRIVER all the while he is clubbing me. I can only hope the cop is a diver.
Really good weekend, Excellent opportunity to experience some firsts. Worth every minute. Thanks DUI, thanks to all of you who I had the privilege and pleasure of meeting - and you know who you are.

I was gonna ask how this went. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Which suit did you try? And which suits were you interested in? Also, do you remember what undergarment you tried out?

I tried the TLS350 and the undergarment was a 300g fleece although it was named something else. I got a card listing what I wore and it reads 300JS.
You should have made the drive, it was worth it. I could have picked you up in Mobile, now you missed out on a neat hat and some quarry dives.

I did some terrific dives with friends this weekend, so while I was sad to miss the DUI event, all wasn't lost. :)

Sounds like you had a fun time. I remember my first drysuit dive at a DUI DOG Rally; it wasn't much fun. Like you my rockboots didn't fit into my Jets so I had to get fins from DUI. They didn't give me larger Jets or even Turtles...no they gave me some POS fin. That was an awful dive. The fins literally had no thrust.
Then I got a set of Turtles for the second dive and had a great time. :D

Quarries, while they might not have lots of neat stuff to see likes caves/springs/oceans, they still have their use. Many are good for training (then again, many are not). The quarry I usually dive is good for training and good for keeping your skills current. It's also ~40 minutes from my apartment whereas the ocean is 3 hours.
Even in Fantasy Lake where I probably have 50-60 dives I can still find new things on every dive. :)

Yes, the Dog Days were a new experience for me also. I have been diving only two years and look for new ways to enjoy this great hobby. My dive shop SDI recommend I try the dry suits and I must admit I am hooked. The staff was great in getting me suited up and the instructors were first rate. I made some new friends and learned at least in the beginner stage a new skill. I want to take my hat off to all who helped with this great event. My only problem is I would love a dry suit but my budget at this time just can't stand the strain, lol. DUI makes a great dry suit, if anybody can give me any advice and one for under $1000 I would appreicate the feed back, Until then, thanks again to Blue Water and those who put on the Dog Days event.
Ray Franks, Savannah, TN
PS: Big thank you to Greg Ogle of SDI for telling me about the event and then was there to help me get suited up.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Now you know why I personally suggest this event to my Midwest newbies. It's a little something different to explore PLUS it's affordable!!

I am glad to read about this. I am considering going to the one their having near me in May. Husband just finished his dry suit specialty, and now I am jealous b/c he's diving without me. But I wanted to be able to try one before buying, you know?

Oh yea, Little Bug, go, go. I only wish there was one close to me, I would go again in a heartbeat. I want to try again now that I have an idea of what to suspect and I want to try different suits, and I want to get fitted by a factory guy, and I still have some questions and it is an opportunity to dive so why not take advantage of it?
Even though I think DUI and their dealers dont promote it well, there was still around 100-150 people there over the weekend. (Just a guess, if anyone knows the accurate tally, fill me in)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom