Poke a hole in your hood for venting??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I heard someone tell me the other day that her husband was diving at 60 feet, and his hood got so compressed it was choking him. He had to do an emergency ascent. She said that he forgot to poke a hole in the top of his hood so air could escape. Has anyone ever heard of that?

The hole in the top is nice for air that comes out into the hood from mask purging, but I don't see what that has to do with a hood being tight and choking, those seem unrelated to me.

I've never heard of anyone having to make an emergency ascent due to the hood. If that is the case, it sounds as if his hood was too small to start with.

However... some hoods are made with a "vent" hole in the top. I even know of a couple people that have cut small (dime-size) holes where their ears are in the hood... not necessarily for the "venting" but because it makes clearing their ears easier. Personally, I do not like hoods, and I don't wear them. But I do have a beanie, and it was made with a vent hole in the top.

A soldering iron to the top takes care of the cone head problem from air getting trapped, but a hood can't shrink and cause choking. something else must have been up.

Walter:
Take off the hood first.

Oh yeah, minor detail...

I poked more then just one hole in mine for venting. The tightness is absolutely a bad fit, or a sensation the diver had once he got down (I always feel like Im being chocked even with the best of fits, it's completely me though and not the hood).

Mine had a 'vent' but it still accumulated a nice big bubble by the end of the dive, so I made a small hole, works great.

Hehe, I'm sitting here imagining how large a cone-head you'd have to have for it to be pulling your hood with enough force to choke you. I don't think I can fit that much air in my hood.

The poseidon unisuit has an attached hood I put a hole in to prevent my mask from loosening upon ascent. I quickly learned water got in and froze my head...they need a double flap w/ a hole...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom