Repetitive Dive times for shallow waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbovee

Reaction score
This is a rather semantic discussion, but if I were to dive to a depth no greater than say 10', repetitively for several days (for example working on the hulls of boats, repairing props,etc daily say 6/7 hours a day) what kind of Nitrogen build-up can I be expected to incur? I know that my NAUI dive tables say that any dive less than 40' is to be concidered 40'.

While I seriously doubt that I could truly stay under at a depth of 10-15' and actually perform phyical work for the length of time it would take to cause a problem, I am really just curious.

:confused: :popcorn:

With that type of plan, I would not go by the charts. I would use a dive computer. When I do a shallow dive of 12' or less, my computer will show a NDL of 9:59. That is the limit of the display as it will not read out 10 hours or more.
As you already stated, any dive lees that 40' needs to be counted as 40' if you are using the charts. As far as the question of physical work goes, hopefully someone else can help you with that one.

The tables don't even start until what, 30 feet?
I regularly dive for work in depths of less then thirty feet on surface supply in a drysuit. During those dives the only limit is my bladder. The dives are hours long.

Look for tables from SSI or (I believe) the US Navy. Their tables begin at 10 feet. The benefit is that you will get a lower category because the pressure limits the amount of nitrogen you will absorb.

FYI - The NOAA tables also start at 40 feet.

Anytime you dive under 3 feet of water you are diving under multi atomposheric ladel, which has been known over time to hinder and cause nercolobsilis.

good question .. this would apparantly put a major cramp in your recreational diving when off from work .

Suspect somebody here will direct you to some agency, or published materials that will help, but from my own experience in commercial diving, I've done 5-7 hour days over multiple weeks in less than 10' or so with only my bladder being the problem. I do recall reading something about doing these kinds of profiles for years and becoming issues. If that's what you have in mind, I'd contact the Association of Diving Contractors and see what they could tell you.

Hoa!

I may or may not have had the NOAA and Navy dive tables reversed, depending on which year the table was dated.

The web address below offers a couple dive tables that read for depths down to a max depth of 10 feet. Please compare the no deco limits from the tables to the tables you currently have. Some of the Navy no deco limits are more than twice the limit allowed on my recreational tables!

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/dp_forms.html

After a 4 hour drift dive in the river on doubles at a max depth of 21', my Suunto still had an unlimited no deco time.
:monkeydan

If you are shallower than about 22 feet you can be fully saturated and still come to the surface safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom