Cancun, Cozemel or VP?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taiwanguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
VP or cancun or cozemel? Where would you go if you had a choice. I'm really having a hard time deciding where I want to book my ticket. What if I book a vacation at cabo San Lucas? as compared to Cozemel? Which one is better at this time of the year. Iwill buy a book tommorow but i'm leaving on wednessday and I really need to make up my mind soon. Does VP have better scubadiving than both of these places combined in April...

Helpme....:D :huh: :rofl3: PLEEEESSSSE>>>>>> I feel like the last charactor trying to make up my mind. It's both funny and painful all at the same time...

If I go to VP can I go to

I dove on both Cancun and Cozemel last week. Cancun had better reefs and more large sealife and the coral was great. In a two tank dive out of Manta Divers in Cancun, with Miguel as the dive master, I saw - Three Morays, one spotted and two green with one of the greens going 6 feet, a 6' nurse shark, and a tortuga which we watched for 4 minutes as she munched on local flora. Lots of coral arches and pristine bottom marked the dive. Currents were moderate and you could swin against them if you choose.

In all, a very nice dive with a very able dive company, one of the better dives in my memory.

Stan

What are you talking about, "VP"?

I definitely respect Serambin's opinion of Cancun and I think that the diving in Cancun is quite underrated (beaches are awesome, too). However, I disagree that Cancun is better than Cozumel. Personally, I'd rather go to Cozumel. I say that,though, with the disclaimer that I have NOT been to Cozumel since that last big hurricaine so I'm not sure if that really affected the reefs in Cozumel in a major way.

What is VP?

-Spady

Spady:
I definitely respect Serambin's opinion of Cancun and I think that the diving in Cancun is quite underrated (beaches are awesome, too). However, I disagree that Cancun is better than Cozumel. Personally, I'd rather go to Cozumel. I say that,though, with the disclaimer that I have NOT been to Cozumel since that last big hurricaine so I'm not sure if that really affected the reefs in Cozumel in a major way.

What is VP?

-Spady

There are several threads on the conditions of the reefs in Cozumel, and the majority opinion seems to be that the diving is still fantastic, and only the people who dive it on a regular basis can really notice the difference.

I personally like Playa del Carmen. I think you can get a lot more for the money. I really like to use Yucatek Divers ( http://www.yucatek-divers.com/ ). The lady that owns it (Yolanda) also owns a simple and inexpensive but clean hotel (http://www.casadegopala.com/ ). Also June through August is when the whale sharks are in. You can’t scuba with them but the snorkeling is well worth the trip. The nice thing about her operation is that she doesn’t have big boats so she can’t do the whole cattle boat thing.

I will say that I have not been there since the last hurricane.

Hopefully I will be down there this summer for some Cenote diving!

Have fun,

Soggy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom