DM Training and DM Insurance Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

off the grid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering taking my DM training with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. Does anyone have any direct experience with Ocean Divers and possible recommendations for them or other facilities in the Keys or mainland Florida?

Also, I am wondering what DM insurance runs?

Thanks. So is it basically a flat rate which does not take into account how much you use your DM certificate with instructors and students?

It's a flat rate 'Claims-Made' insurance policy, meaning it's paid in full at the time of coverage. It also means that you're only covered for the timeframes that the policy outlines. So - if you are a DM in a class this year, then decide DM isn't for you, but three years from now someone hurts themselves and tries to sue, if you didn't buy coverage for the year you are sued in you're covering the bill yourself.

You might also check Witherspoon for insurance 2006-2007 rates for DM are $314.88.

off the grid:
I am considering taking my DM training with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. Does anyone have any direct experience with Ocean Divers and possible recommendations for them or other facilities in the Keys or mainland Florida?

Might I suggest taking DM course closer to home?

I would suggest taking course at a lesiurely pace, working and gaining experience with a local Dive instructor of your choosing.

Most will take on a DM Candidate as a mentor in exchange for modest tuition considering the fact you will be conscripted labor for several months.

I would again suggest pick a known quantity (Instructor) vs. an operation unless you are planning on moving to Florida to work.

If that's the case, I'd get hired on 1st at a Dive Shop and get the DM Cert (and possibly go on with Instructor and then maybe even Boat/CG License) costs associated would likely be less as you would be aiding the Dive Operation concurrently!

a DM candidate falls under their instructors insurance until the rating is reached,so you don't need to purchase it until you are actually a DM.

off the grid:

If you intend to work on your own, or for multiple operators, you'll need insurance and you'll want to spring for the $300+ it'll take. If you are only looking at working for a single operator, check to see what they've got going before you sring for insurance.

Not sure if they are still doing it, but V&B used to offer special rates through PADI facilities where a pro could get a cut rate through the facility. Marsh also offers a program to facilities where they can insure the position then any DM or Instructor who is current (dues paid, but no insurance) can step right in and be covered without personally spending a dime. I and several other operators here have that, but as a DM or Instructor you'd only be covered for the work done through the facility.

Hey, as a dive professional formerly living in Miami, I've dove with ocean divers several times.. for fun, not for classes. They're a great dive op, and I've heard great things about their education.

Are you in Florida or anywhere near Miami? Really depends where you're from I think. DM is more fun when you have a nearby diveshop that you can hang around at, and become part of the shop's professional community. I can recommend places in Miami if that's where you're from. If you're up in ft lauderdale area, then Pro Dive would be the place to go.

Right now I'm in Montana, where the water is cold, dark and generally has minimal visibility. Plans for the future include moving to the coast. I would like to get the DM down in the Keys or Florida not only to have it in warm water with good vis. but also to start developing some contacts for the future. Thanks for the info.

I am also wondering if I get my DM and then decide not to DM for a period of time, and then start up again, do I have to pay insurance costs for every year that it lapsed?

Back
Top Bottom