SSI Stress & Rescue Course vs PADI Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_katt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just tentatively booked (ok who am I kidding - I gave the guy my credit card details already!) a SSI Rescue Diver Course.

I am currently a PADI advanced open water diver, and was looking to do the PADI Rescue Diver course, but this dive shop was recommended to me by a friend of a friend.

Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the SSI Stress & Rescue Dive Course and the PADI Rescue Diver Course?

He told me that the course would take place on two days only, whereas the other dive shops I called re the PADI Rescue Diver course was to take place over 4 days. Will I be missing out on any important training??

Should I cancel and go for the PADI Rescue Diver course at a higher price somewhere else??

:confused:

Help please! Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Considering I'm not an instructor for either organization, take my advice for what it's worth. I'm sure there are others out there with more experience with these courses.

IMHO, it does not matter. Both agencies are well known and will both have basic minimum requirements that are common to both. It all depends on the instructor no matter where you go. If you know the guy, then go for it, whether it is SSI or PADI (or NAUI or YMCA). Do your research on the instructor before you go.

Also, I wouldn't get into a habit of posting the same topic in different forums. Mods tend to not like that too much. Hope that helps.

Thomas

didn't realise there were rules about posting queries in two different forums.

sorry

I don't know if it is a written rule or not...It's just kinda unsaid...Most of the major posters on the board read all the forums anyway, so it doesn't benefit posting in more than one.

Thomas

I finished my PADI Rescue Diver course a month ago. It involved 2 days in the classroom - 1 for the Medic First Aid qualification and 1 for the Rescue Diver syllabus and 1 1/2 days in the water finishing up with a simulated rescue scenario. I can't comment on the SSI course but I thought the PADI course was very good.

It's the same story as who to take OW from. It's SOOO instructor dependent. I took SSI's stress & rescue. The instructor 'bout worked us to death. One of the hardest classes, if not THE hardest I ever took. But I can see where a lazy instructor could cut corners.

If you've taken classes from this instructor before, are comfortable with instructor knowledge and teaching style, then I would guess you'll get your money's worth. And if your instructor's like mine was, don't plan to do much partying after water work. :D

Good luck,

I have taken all of my training through SSI and can't really comment on any other agency. I have the Stress and Rescue as well as Master Diver SSI. I agree things are totally up to the instructor. My instructor held two classes, and a pool session prior to the two days OW check outs. However, this is strictly an instructor preference. SSI have video and study books that you are to do independantly before the OW sessions. You have questions to answer in the book to turn in and will be tested. The OW two days were exactly what they say Stress and Rescue. Alot of emphasis on handling stress, being able to respond to multiple types of emergencies at depth and on the surface. It is a very physical two days. I was sore and exhausted each night. But, it was worth every bit of it. Good Luck and have fun too.

:)

I took the SSI S&R class and enjoyed it. There's a little
too much emphasis on the "stress" part. Common sense
stuff about recognizing stress that isn't necessary. The pool
part was excellent. We practiced rescuing each other til we
were competent [not expert]. It's worthwhile and if you take
DAN O2 and First Aid you could be helpful in an emergency.

course is done so differently by different instructors. I fully agree that the most important decision in your dive training is to find a really good instructor or LDS with a great team of instructors. I did a great amount of research and visited numerous dive shops before making a decision regarding my own training. I recently completed the PADI Rescue Diver course and the format was as follows (not including the Medic First Aid or First Responder):

1) Pool night and Classroom - Videos and demonstrations of the skills we will be training in the Ocean, let's practice where we can all see what's happening (instead of in the low vis).

2) Second Classroom Night - Knowledge Reviews, Questions

3) Exam Night (and further review if needed)

4) Two complete 6 hour dive days, Final de-briefing review after last dive.

Very, very exhausting...great course!

Drizz is right, posting the same thread more than once is considered spamming the board=bad thing. That's ok, you're new so we'll forgive you.
Happy posting!
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom