Padi Divemaster renewal and liability costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know how much the annual renewal fee is for a padi divemaster? Are there other requirements to keep the certification like minimum number of dives or anything like that? Also, how much does professional liability insurance cost annually?

The membership fee is $58.00 for the year. And I think the insurannce for divemaster is $385.00 for the year. But that was with Vicencia&Buckly. You shop around. Hope this helps.

The RENEWAL for DiveMaster is $77.50 per year, which is Jan 1 - Dec 31.

The insurance through V & B is $395 for the year, which is July 1 - June 30. They prorate, so the DM insurance for Jan 1 - Jun 30 is only $218.

Course, these are fees in the U.S. - may be different in other countries.

The insurance is to much money to have out of pocket.

I rather spend the money on training and equipment.

Scott=-)

...of shops paying this insurance if you agree to DM a certain number of classes? I find myself agreeing with ICUROK...unless I can deduct that from taxes or work a barter for airfills/gear, I don't see myself keeping my insurance current...

ICUROK once bubbled...
The insurance is to much money to have out of pocket.

I rather spend the money on training and equipment.

Scott=-)

Dern right... My plan has been to become a DM and then after some time as a DM reach assitant instructor or instructor level (either way just to aid other instructors with thier classes) Now seeing the insurance costs. I'm leaning towards still reaching one of thoose levels but not teaching or DM'ing much unless I find an instructor or LDS thats willing to either provide me enough work or pay to pay my insurance (if they are willing to pay that I'm happy just diving and teaching... even if I put in more work than my insurance cost... ie pay would be $1000 for the year... just pay my insurance and I'm happy)

But who knows... life happens and plans change.

OMG those prices are expensive. I assume a lot of dms who don't acutally work in the field forget about the insurance and just pay the basic charge to padi to make sure they keep their certification current. If you're a divemaster and decide not to pay the membership fee one year, can you still pay at a later time? Or, do you have to take the course over again? I know lifeguards have to do recerts every 2 years. If you don't take the recert on time, you'll have to do the course again if you want to keep lifeguarding.

It really depends on where you are affiliated....

My AI renewal and insurance in Japan (PADI insurance) was about $150. A friend who is OWSI just renewed via Asia and said it was about half the price - but then she also did not need insurance so I am guessing around $40

For Japan this is about half what it was last year so check with your local agency....

Jonathan

O-ring once bubbled...
...of shops paying this insurance if you agree to DM a certain number of classes? I find myself agreeing with ICUROK...unless I can deduct that from taxes or work a barter for airfills/gear, I don't see myself keeping my insurance current...

Are you kidding??? Those are as rare as finding gold coins on the ocean floor. It can happen but it ain't likely. If you work as a DM for a shop you can usually get free air, and a few extra perks but that is a LOT of free air to make up the cost of professional fees and insurance. You can deduct your professional fee and insurance but you must report income and that does include barter and trade. Is the cost worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Only you can make that choice. Good diving

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

Are you kidding??? Those are as rare as finding gold coins on the ocean floor. It can happen but it ain't likely. If you work as a DM for a shop you can usually get free air, and a few extra perks but that is a LOT of free air to make up the cost of professional fees and insurance. You can deduct your professional fee and insurance but you must report income and that does include barter and trade. Is the cost worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Only you can make that choice. Good diving
That if I am only helping an instructor with classes then I do not need my own insurance and that his will cover it since he is the responsible party. Any truth to that? I don't ever plan to DM as a career or earn any money at it...it is strictly for fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom