COmpass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostrunner007

Contributor
Reaction score
OK I know its a small part of the total package but there seems to be alot of opinions
about which one to get. I am going to get one in the next couple of days and would like to know which one to get and the type of mount is the best.

I am going to get one for me and my buddy (my 13yr son)

Thanks

Although you will get many recommendations for the Suunto, I prefer the Wisdom compass in a wrist mount. It gimbles a bit more easily, the contrast seems to be a bit better and the numbers are more easily read by my aging eyes. The price is better, too!

Ian

Personally - and this is a personal opinion - I like a direct sight read compass (at least, I THINK thats what its called). When you sight through the side window of the compass (not looking straight down at it) you will be reading the heading you are looking towards, Not the reciprocal as some present. Best to go to a shop and play around with a few.

Other considerations: Will it be part of your console, or a separate wrist mount?

...steve...

I have a long hose config. so I dont have a console just a pressure gauge, so its going to be a wrist mount or on a retractable.

I have heard that the SK7 is the best due to you can tilt it up to 30 degrees.

If you plan to top read the Oceanic is very graphic. That makes it nice in dim light and poor visibility since you don't need to read anything.

My only comment is that you should avoid getting one which mounts on the BACK of your console. I started with a mini console that had air/depth on one side and a compass on the back, the problem with that setup was that do maintain depth and heading you had to constantly flip the console over so it was a pain in the butt.

Apart from that try out a couple of different ones in an LDS and see what you like, just make sure the needle does not stick easily and you can read it easily and you should be fine.

Matt_NJ:
My only comment is that you should avoid getting one which mounts on the BACK of your console. I started with a mini console that had air/depth on one side and a compass on the back, the problem with that setup was that do maintain depth and heading you had to constantly flip the console over so it was a pain in the butt.

Apart from that try out a couple of different ones in an LDS and see what you like, just make sure the needle does not stick easily and you can read it easily and you should be fine.
I running that set-up now and it is a tad annoying to be flipping constantly. When I get some new gear I'll opt for a different set-up.

OK guys went out and looked at a couple and the SK7 won , you can tilt that sucker alot without the needle sticking.

Thanks for all the advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom