Multiple dives & average depth function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchmanjc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do most of my diving from local boats, and never log more than 3 dives in a day as a rule.

I do not have a computer, but my dive watch (Casio sea pathfinder) has an average depth function.

When filling out my log, computing pressure groups on a square dive, using max depth obviously puts me at a disadvantage for multiple dives and nitrogen loading.

Is it safe to compute this using the average depth measurement from the dive?

What is the purpose of the average depth function?

Thanks All

Watchmanjc

watchmanjc:
I do most of my diving from local boats, and never log more than 3 dives in a day as a rule.

I do not have a computer, but my dive watch (Casio sea pathfinder) has an average depth function.

When filling out my log, computing pressure groups on a square dive, using max depth obviously puts me at a disadvantage for multiple dives and nitrogen loading.

Is it safe to compute this using the average depth measurement from the dive?

What is the purpose of the average depth function?

Thanks All

Watchmanjc

I would only use max depth, not average. With that said, how do you feel at the end of your dive day? You might be exceeding limits according to tables and math but what does your body tell you. If all is well, your getting by. I myself would not exceed the tables other than doing Deco.

Average depth is useful (necessary) to compute your SAC (surface air consumption).

I've never had any ill effects to date. Local dives off the boats I take have rarely exceeded 65 ft. max depth. I guess a computer will be in my future.

Depth averaging isn't as simple as "my average depth was 60 feet, so my NDL was 60 minutes."

You can use averages to figure deco, but I suggest taking a class rather than trying to glean info from the internet.

watchmanjc:
I've never had any ill effects to date. Local dives off the boats I take have rarely exceeded 65 ft. max depth. I guess a computer will be in my future.

Computers are not a bad thing:)

Back
Top Bottom