Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fresh water coral?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Fresh water coral?

Is there such a thing as fresh water coral? We dove today in lake Ontario at about 30 ft and saw something that looks like the start of coral. I have no idea. My buddy has dove in many places where he's seen coral in salt water. He says it looked just like coral. Is this possible?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Never heard of it. Maybe it was a stalagmite (or stalagtite, because I have no idea what the difference is) formation?

CCR Instructor

lacks status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    In Pavillion Lake BC there are formations that are thought to resemble fresh water coral however I believe they are actually bacteria colonies. Do a search on Pavillion and see if the pics match what you saw.
    Cheers,
    Dave...

www.wedivebc.com
    "How do you know if there are any hornets in the nest unless you whack it once in a while"

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    To my (expert) knowledge, there is no such creature as freshwater coral.

Excluding mineral formations other posters have mentioned, there are also gelatinous freshwater bryozoan colonies. They can be common in lakes and ponds in summer months, and get as big across as a basketball. Their "zooids" may eerily resemble translucent or brownish polyps of star corals.

If you touch it and it feels like rubber, it's probably a phylactolaemate bryozoan. They are harmless and rather fun to mess with.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    I like that I found this same question on Yahoo's Ask website, and someone in Minnesota claimed that there is a "dead reef" in the lake he regularly dives in. Well duh- MN used to be covered with salt water, I have plenty of coral samples from the banks of the Mississippi river. But they are fossils, not live coral.
    gomi_

Registered

status, we DON'T need
    no stinkin' status

Dives
    200 - 499
    Blog Entries
    For what it is worth, Skeanatlas Lake has an area well known for fossilized stag horn coral
    Time flies when you are having fun, fruit flies like bananas...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/div...home-pond.html

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmdiver
    For what it is worth, Skeanatlas Lake has an area well known for fossilized stag horn coral
    Ooh, neato! Those ancient waters must've been quite toasty.

Diving Polymath

waiting for the next dive.

On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated population center on the face of the earth. 2,175 miles to Alaska, 2,390 miles to California; 3,850 miles to Japan; 4,900 miles to China; 5,280 miles to the Philippines.
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    As far as I know there's no such thing as LIVING fresh water coral.
    I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.

"Too often ... people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - Leapfrog
    "They are the McDonalds of diver certification. Quick, inexpensive and tasty. Pardon me for saying so, but I also believe it to be a health hazard." - DCBC
    "It truly does boil down to motivation ... if you believe something is hard, or unnecessary to learn, you won't learn it ... even if it's completely within your capability" - Bob (Grateful Diver)

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I'm no expert, but is it possible that it was freshwater sponges? Last year, they started popping up in the Green Bay off of Menominee, MI. I did some research and talked to the DNR and found out they are in "clean" water which I guess is caused from the zebra mussels. (Did a dive today and vis was less than a foot - so not sure how true THAT is ha ha). The sponges can get quite large. Just a suggestion. (I had never seen anything like this before).

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Sure there's freshwater sponges. They just don't look like coral.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast