Peak Performance Buoyancy course ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robandliza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I'm considering taking a peak performance buoyancy course when I'm down in the Keys next month.
I already have a 3 reef 6 dive trip booked, but am considering swapping one of the reef trips for a buoyancy control class

Is it worth it? i.e will i get a lot of benefit from it or is the best way to learn buoyancy control just to dive?
Bear in mind that I'm from the UK and only get to dive when I'm on vacation ( at the moment...thinking of dry suit course next year) and even then it will be a max of 4-6 dives per vacation as will have wife and kids in tow

Also, if anyone's got the vid/dvd for sale I may be interested

Thanks

Rob

Is it worth it? Much will depend on the instructor that teaches the course. Much will depend on how much you get to practice the skills related to buoyancy control. Being able to dive frequently will help a lot initially once you understand what buoyancy control is about.

Much of what you need to know is already here on scubaboard. The problem, IMO, is that you need to seperate the wheat from the chaff whether you get the info here or from the PPB course.

Primarily you will need to start with a proper weighting determination for the gear and environment you will be diving. Secondarily you need to be relaxed and completely at ease in the water, as this affects un-necessary motion and breathing control. Third you need to understand what people refer to as trim here on scubaboard. Put these three things together with frequent practice for a couple of dozen dives and you will be well on you way.

I'm a big proponent of PPB, if it is taught by someone who actually helps you achieve PPB as opposed to someone who simply evaluates you to see if you have it!

I wouldn't give up two of my six vacation dives for this course however!

Were you an active local diver I'd say read, dive and ask for feedback then dive some more.

However since you dive infrequently it's a great opportunity to make some fast progress in a critical skill. Like ANY dive class the instructor will make or break it.

I'm a big proponent of PPB, if it is taught by someone who actually helps you achieve PPB as opposed to someone who simply evaluates you to see if you have it! .... I wouldn't give up two of my six vacation dives for this course however!
My sentiments, exactly. If you are traveling that far, and it is an 'either or' scenario, i would be inclined to enjoy the reef diving this time around. PPB can be a great course, but it is a bit to easy for an instructor to meet the technical course requirements - activities that must be done - without necessarily leaving the student with sustained understanding of optimal buoyancy control.

Almost always, a bunch of dives with a good mentor, soliciting feedback, is a good way to go, but if you really only get limited opportunities to dive, a focused class can help get you over the initial hump, at least get you closer.

Thanks guys

RJP and Colliam...as I will be doing 2 dives on the course anyway I didn't think I'd be losing out too much....is that not the case?

I'm inclined to agree with Spectrum in that a crash course is best for my particular situation, but understand it's down to the instructor.
Well I'm booked with It's a Dive out of Key Largo, so any feedback on their instructors would be welcome

Thanks very much for the comments so far

Rob

RJP and Colliam...as I will be doing 2 dives on the course anyway I didn't think I'd be losing out too much....is that not the case?
Fair point. If you are still going to have 4 good reef dives beyond the course, you may not be sacrificing too much. The diving out of Largo can be great, particularly for someone who hasn't been there before, so take full advantage.
I'm inclined to agree with Spectrum in that a crash course is best for my particular situation, but understand it's down to the instructor.
Given your schedule, that is absolutely right. And, the potential influence of the instructor is part of the basis of my somewhat conservative recommendation. With a good, hands-on instructor, PPB is a great experience. And, if you do it at the beginning of your trip, the benefits on the next four dives will be manifestly evident. I have seen the course requirements fully and fairly met, however, in a manner that did not promote continued development of the diver, hence my previous comment.
Well I'm booked with It's a Dive out of Key Largo, so any feedback on their instructors would be welcome
Can't offer anything there, as my experience over the years in Largo is all with Ocean Divers. I will be interested in comments from those who know the operation.

Well, I'm all booked up.....probably too late but any info on It's a Dive instructors would still be welcome

One thing though. I did notice that a DVD/Vid was part of the package with other schools but they told me I didn't need it. Maybe they will show it via PC on trip out to the site?...should I try to get hold of a vid/dvd?.....

Again, any thoughts are most welcome

Rob

When my son and I took our AOW our instructor recommended PPB as one of our electives. I thought it would be totally boring. His wife, who was his DM, told me it was great. I totally trusted her judgment and I am so glad I took it. It really helped me with weighting and breath control. I used to tend to overweight myself but after that class, I never had to again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom