Things that divers say, with good intentions, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

o2scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
For all you DMs AIs Instructors and captains.

Often I get statements or questions from divers, that I don't like to hear. Just bite my lip and smile.

Things like "when are you going to get a real job"

or "must be nice to be on vacation and go diving all the time"

What are some of the cliches and statements you hear from divers?? .:)

I can't translate it into a direct statement but divers clearly feel that since diving is fun that we shouldnt be paid much for diving with them. They will never realize the difference between one of my FUN dives and a working dive with them.

The big joke on our boat is that we are going to stop working unless we get a pay raise.

50 % of zero is still zero:eek:ut:

Of corse this is after the passangers have left and we are cleaning the boat or just relaxing with a few beers at the end of the day.

Wow! What a cake job....you get to play all day!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I can't translate it into a direct statement but divers clearly feel that since diving is fun that we shouldnt be paid much for diving with them. They will never realize the difference between one of my FUN dives and a working dive with them.

Yes Mike,

I realize this. Just wanted to have some fun hearing some good ones.

Q. Is there water on the other side of the island?
A. Yes. That's why it's called an island.

Q. Do you live here?
A. No. We commute from Miami daily.

Q. What is the weather going to be like tomorrow?
A. No idea. I'm not a meterologist. I haven't seen a weather report.
Follow-up Q. Then what is the weather going to be like in two days?
A. No idea :rolleyes:

Q. How do the airline pilots find this place?
A. We anchored the island so it would stop drifting around to make it easier. Now they can use maps.

Q. What time is your 2 o'clock afternoon dive?
A. That would be 2:00pm.

Q. Did you know that if you shine a dive light on some of the sponges/corals, it restores color lost at depth?
A. No! Really!?

Q. Which sites will you go to for tomorrow's two-tank dive?
A. Since we are on the windward side of the island, we are dependent upon the weather. The boat captain will select the site based upon waves, visibility, current, and input from our guests including which sites they have already dived this week. We never know the exact site for any dive until we tie up at the mooring and assess conditions.
Follow-up Q. OK. Then which site will you go to for tomorrow's afternoon one tank dive?
A. :bonk:

Q. How many lobsters can I take on the morning two-tank dive?
A. None. It is illegal here to take any marine life while on scuba.
Follow-up Q. Then how many conch can I take instead on the two-tank dive?
A. :confused: Uh... none.

Q. Why do you drive on the wrong side of the road?
A. I don't know. I've always found that it works better if everyone on the island picks one side of the road and sticks with that. Works pretty well.

and more...

For those so inclined to know what it is like to live and work at a resort in the Caribbean, read Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk. It could be an documentary of daily life on most any island down here.

Q: So you are diver eh, where do you go Diving
A: IN the WATER !!!!!

Q: Have you seen a shark
A: yes

Q: So how much do you get paid ?
A: AHHhhaahahahahahahaha ;-0

What are the pains of a dive job? Enlighten the rest of us who just dive for fun. Make me feel sorry for you instead of jealous (please). I've gathered the pay is no good.

"You mean you have to PAY for your dive gear? I thought the dive shop gave it to you."

"Do I have to dive in lakes after I get certified?"

But the two most popular from students and non-divers alike are...

"Aren't you afraid of sharks?" and "How deep can you go?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom