CMAS cert in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monica.kraj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My brother and I live and dive in Europe. The difference between us that his cert is CMAS, whereas mine is SSI. We are planning to go for a trip to the US and maybe we will be lucky enough to include some diving.

I guess I shouldn't have problems with my SSI cert. But I'm wondering about my brother. Our LDS has told us that it's probable he won't be able to dive at all, since CMAS is not accepted in the USA. Is that true?

If his card is in English, it should not be a problem. But, if you run into an uninformed dive operator, you could point out that YMCA Scuba is a (the) CMAS affiliate in the US: YMCA About C.M.A.S.

Many years ago LA county and CMAS joined forces to certify LA County UW instructors as CMAS instructors-by completing and submitting some forms we became a 2 star CEMAS instructors.

I would think any one who is in the know would recognize CMAS and honor it's certification, but then again there are a lot of fuzzy faced instructors in the US.

Good luck!

SDM

If his card is in English, it should not be a problem. But, if you run into an uninformed dive operator, you could point out that YMCA Scuba is a (the) CMAS affiliate in the US: YMCA About C.M.A.S.
No problem, the CMAS card is always translated in French, in English and in Spanish.

So far, I have been able to dive with my CMAS cert card in Egypt, in Mexico and the US. I moved to the US from Germany, and when I showed my CMAS card to my LDS (SSI) to ask about transferring into SSI, he said I shouldn't transfer, because in his opinion a CMAS cert is something pretty valuable and he wouldn't trade it in for a SSI cert. They acknowledged all my previous training and dives, and by the time I had accumulated anough dives, they issued me an SSI Master Diver Card.

I guess my bottomline is: Don't worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom