Rescue Course???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghosty_old

Contributor
Reaction score
I am very new to scuba diving. My wife and i just got certified 2 months ago. I have just finished reading Dr Paul Thomas's thread about his terrible accident. First may i say that i am truly glad he is okay and that i support his choice to stop diving. I think most of us would have made the same choice. He stated that "he believes everyone should be able to learn from one's mistakes, mine (if there was one) was to dive with a relative novice." My question, or should i say statement at this point, is that i do not want to be that novice diver with anyone, especially with my buddy who is also my partner in life. Now i know that experience comes with continuing to dive, but im just not sure if that is enough right now. I've been reading about padis rescue diver course and was wondering if anyone knew if a newbie diver would be able to participate in a course such as this. If not what other courses can one take with only a minor few dives under his belt.

Ghosty,

Find yourself a shop with a good crew of instructors, ignore the alphabet soup of agencies and find a shop that caters to your needs and interests as a diver.

Dive dive and dive some more.....get as much experience as you can. You might look into a GOOD Advanced course (misnomer, should be called something else, but it's all we've got) and try a sampling of other types of dive experience. If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to dive with others of your skill level under the supervision of an instructural team. An advanced course does not mean you are an advanced diver, it just means you've "sampled" some other types of diving...giving you a bit more experience. After that, look into a GOOD Rescue course. You'll learn a wealth of information on preventing and/or acting in dive emergencies.

But most importantly....dive dive dive.

Good Luck!

Lori

Well said lori.....

Most importantly dive dive dive...then dive some more. IF you're not comfortable diving with your wife, call your instructor (if you're comfortable with him/her) and dive with him.

Don;t like your instructor...join a dive club and dive with the experienced guys there. You'll fiund most divers are pretty friendly, especially with someone who wants to learn.

Yes dive dive dive is great advice, but in all reallity if i dive with someone who is highly skilled, that still leaves me in the situation of being the novice diver. And if something happens to him or her where does that leave me. Sure he knows what to do if i pass out at 50' or if i start having a seisure but what if these things happen to him. I like to think i learned alot from my OW classes but having that extra edge, from knowledge and learning, is what im looking for.Thats why i asked about the rescue diver course. Does one need X number of dives before he can take it or does he need his AOW course first. Or what other courses can one take.?

ghosty once bubbled...
Yes dive dive dive is great advice, but in all reallity if i dive with someone who is highly skilled, that still leaves me in the situation of being the novice diver. And if something happens to him or her where does that leave me. Sure he knows what to do if i pass out at 50' or if i start having a seisure but what if these things happen to him. I like to think i learned alot from my OW classes but having that extra edge, from knowledge and learning, is what im looking for.Thats why i asked about the rescue diver course. Does one need X number of dives before he can take it or does he need his AOW course first. Or what other courses can one take.?

A rescue course is a very good thing to do, as they are very beneficial to yourself, and to others.
You need to have an AOW card for the PADI rescue, as well as a minimun number of dives that I cannot remember at the moment. It isn't very many though.

The "dive, dive, dive" advice is good, but to answer your direct question, IMO you should take a rescue class as soon as you are comfortable doing so.

Phil

But I'm pretty sure you have to have your Advanced OW before you can take the resue.

Dving with an experienced diver is not going to hurt you at all. You will run into situations underwater, and you will learn from then, wether or not you are the victim or rescuer. If you never have a problem, wonderful, I envy you, but this is an equipment intensive sport.

It also never hurts to do skills in a controlled environment. Practice OOA drills, practice losing a fin, practice your reg free-flowing, etc. I would not do this without someone there you are comfortable with and trust with your life however.

ghosty once bubbled...
My question, or should i say statement at this point, is that i do not want to be that novice diver with anyone, especially with my buddy who is also my partner in life. Now i know that experience comes with continuing to dive, but im just not sure if that is enough right now.

Very good points. Don't wait until you reach another plastic card because meanwhile you will not be a buddy. Without mentioning agencies there are some that do not require another plastic to become a buddy diver, meaning taking a rescue course. Your concerns are valid. Dive, dive, dive is absolutely critical in gaining experiance, but as the saying goes practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. I know too many divers who claim 100, 200, 500 dives and more. Well, if dive #1 did not go to well, repeating the same mistakes 100 more times makes one only an expert at putting it politely comfortable with being inadaquate. Take a good rescue course as soon as possible. Become a buddy to your buddy. Otherwise they are in the same ocean with you but they are solo. If your buddy does not have rescue training, then you are diving solo. Nothing happens till it happens. Make sure you can help your buddy as well as your buddy can help you in case of any situation no matter how minor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom