Oceanic DataMax Pro dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newkie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this in. I've a load of older gear from my diving heyday before becoming a spoilt "holiday diver". Since moving to Ireland I've recently picked it back up and am having a problem with my dive computer.

My DataMax Pro is 8 or so years old. After disuse for a couple of years the batteries were obviously dead and a little corroded. I've cleaned out the batter compartment and it looks clean and the contacts look good. I replaced the 2 coin lithium batteries and tested them with a multimeter. Stacked and in the plastic J-cell adapter they read 5.8v.

When inserting the battery the screen lower half of the screen activates. If I press the button the Dive #0 half of the screen activates. Basically the entire LCD is lit up. I think this is probably the "diagnostic" mode. The display doesn't change from here.

I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do. I did hook this to a tank last weekend but the display didn't differ. I can't actually remember what the normal behavior is when on land, unattached to a tank, and you press the button. There is a serious lack of qualified servicing options nearby. Is there anything else I can try?

I have heard back from the dive shop though but they didn't have much to say but replace it with 20% off towards a new Oceanic.

What are the average lifespans on these computers anyway? This would be a third and I'm starting to think I'll just go analogue.

I have gotten the impression that pressing the button should activate the display and put it in surface mode. Although the batteries are at 5.8V, I think this should be enough for a 6V device to operate. A new battery is on the way, just in case. Will wait and see what Oceanic has to say.

I have the same computer, if you press the right button to turn it on the display should light up and all digits should count from 9 down to 0, then it goes to surface mode. I think it displays the # of dives, temp, and surface interval.

Thanks for that, that rings a bell! On closer read of the manual, it actually says it. I guess I'm not passing the diagnostic mode. I'll see what Oceanic says about the battery being at 5.8v and then get their opinion on whether its worth servicing. I'm starting to lean towards a new computer. I seem to have bad luck with Oceanic.

Thanks for that, that rings a bell! On closer read of the manual, it actually says it. I guess I'm not passing the diagnostic mode. I'll see what Oceanic says about the battery being at 5.8v and then get their opinion on whether its worth servicing. I'm starting to lean towards a new computer. I seem to have bad luck with Oceanic.

My datamax pro is doing this. One new battery would not get it to boot. tried two more and the countdown goes to zero then shuts. Must say CS at oceanic less than helpful, says that board traces dry out, however my 30yo unsealed calculator still functions. So only option is 20%off msrp.This computer only has maybe dozen dives on it.

Not sure ill buy oceanic again. first computer was oceanic datamaster II that batter lasted about 1yr before have to send back for upgrade to datamax pro.
Bryan

I'll buy it for parts !! Please ?

---------- Post added September 6th, 2015 at 05:58 PM ----------

I will buy this from you if you don't trust it, or can't get it serviced. I REALLY need it for parts ! Interested ?
Andrew Klinzmann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom